Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our UPVC front door (with multipoint looking) dropped away from the hinges such that it is very difficult to lock it. When pulling up the door handle there is some resistance, but it goes in the right position with some force. However, then there is also some resistance when turning the key (after about 2/3 of a turn).

Looking at the door one can see that it dropped away from the hinges, i.e. from the inside the hinges are on the right hand side and the bottom left corner of the door is too low.
And looking at the keeps on the frame, it's obvious that the door is too low as the deadbolts catch the bottom of their keeps. There is also too little compression at the top left of the door, i.e. leaving a gap of a few mm to the frame.
(There is also what looks like a thumb lock on the door but that never worked)

I tried adjusting the hinges (photo of the top hinge attached), but have not been fully succesful. Can you tell me which of the three hex screws I should turn more at the top and at the bottom hinge? (Or ro I need to do something with the Pozi screws?)

The door was already problematic when we bought the house four years ago, then I overcame the problem by adjusting the top hinge vertically (screw C in the photo). Now I also tried turning scew B to the right but that did not seem to help. Screw A I does not seem to move but I could try to be more persuasive.

Any pointers?

Attachments

• IMG_20200921_210553484.jpg
    IMG_20200921_210553484.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 333
Sponsored Links
Get a square on the edge of the door. If its out you may need to sort the heel/toe to make it square again. That hinge does look odd. What happens when you screw in C?

Thanks. When turning C the door moves up or down, and that gap in the hinge reduces accordingly.

Sponsored Links
If the glass has not been installed correctly it causes the door to sag. If its out of square you will need to remove the profiles and shim the glass so it holds the frame square.

Thanks. When turning C the door moves up or down, and that gap in the hinge reduces accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back