Help & Advice for fitting new bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on making some changes to our bathroom over the easter weekend and any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.
Firstly in the ensuite I am replacing the toilet and basin for a wall hung toilet, basin and shower
In the main bathroom I am replacing the bath & basin & shower over bath (that has no pressure) for a bath, basin, toilet and separate shower
Whilst I have done basic plumbing before, moved a radiator, put in an outside tap, I have never done anything on this scale
I believe I want thermostatic power showers (simply because you cant beat a good shower), I have a "normal" boiler (not combi), do I need the shower feeds to come from the tank or cylinder, because they are back to back would 15mm feeds from a bath to both showers be sufficient or would I need separate feeds. What about the electric supply, is a normal plug feed OK or do I need a separate breaker
Which order would you tackle this in or does it depend on the bathroom layout etc
What about the shutting down and removal of the old system, I was thinking about turning the water off capping off the pipes then switching back on so that the family can still use the downstairs bathroom.
How long would you suggest a competent DIYer should take?
Thanks for any help and advice given

Sponsored Links
if its a power shower, a normal plug feed will definitely be out of the question. You will need to get a dedicated cable from the fuse box/consumer unit to the shower. I would suggest you get 10mm^2 as this will cover pretty much any power shower you can buy.

I would suggest if you can that you get hold of a load of isolating valves and use them to cap off, its easier to do that than unsolder end caps.

Some of the questions your asking I can't answer without actually looking at the install.

Good Luck

Lorraine

It's illegal to wire up your own bathroom.

BTW a power shower is just a pump and doesn't need 10mm cable. That's for a 10.4 KW Instant shower.

joe

Sponsored Links
The isolating valves are a good tip, except that the ones with little screw-head or plastic lever inside have a tight reduction inside which restricts the flow; just what you don't want for a good squirty shower. however, you can buy the next larger size, and use a compression reducer to fit them to the pipe. Gate valves don't look as good, but, when open, they do not obstruct the water flow.

Isolating valves are now a legal requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back