Help - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just wondering if someone in the know can help. Basically I own a 1958 3 bed semi, it looks like it has the original roof. Its tiled with the concrete tiles.

Now today I was having the gutters (old cast iron things) and fascia boards replaced. As the joiner/builder was doing them he noticed alot of tiles along the edge were loose on the roof and that some had been cemented in.
A few years ago we did have a leak and some tiles blew off in strong winds, hence why some are cemented on.

Now the joiner took a closer look and noticed the battons, if thats the right word, were rotten where the tiles have been cemented. He's said that he thinks in his professional opinion its time for a re-roof and he's contacted a friend who is a roofer.

He's explained every to him and given him all the measurements and he's come back with a quote of £2500 to remove the roof, re-felt it, re-batton and tile with modern tiles rather than the cement ones.

Does this seem reasonable, or does it sound like something I should get several quotes/opinions on?

The joiner/builder by the way, is fairly trust worthy and has just fitted a kitchen in the house and done some other odd jobs too for a reasonable price so I don't think he is trying to con me....

TIA

Craig

Sponsored Links
Hello

Firstly, if the concrete tiles are from 1958 then they have done remarkably well to last over 50 years! So it is highly likely they need replacing.

£2,500 ? that sounds incredibly cheap. I would worry that your roofer has not included for any scaffold? A proper scaffold can be as much as that on a 3-bedroom semi.

You'd better check exactly what is included in his quote, as it is essential that a compliant scaffold is used for this type of work, the safety of people working on your property may well be your responsibility.

It's always a good idea to get more than one quote, and make sure you understand exactly what is covered in the quote and what is not.

Regards
Jon

I'm just a DIYer but £2500 for a complete reroof, including new tiles, sounds ominously cheap to me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back