Roofing trade advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, first post.

Im not a roofer by trade and dont claim to know much about roofing. My trade is certainly different.

I got a local 'roofer' to fix 2x water leaks, (repair on the ridge). I paid him 450 to relay and repoint the ridge tiles, to which he said would fix the 2x water ingres.

The 2x leaks were still coming through so i called him back. He came into the loft space, and found that the leaks were coming through 2 seperate now unused gas vents in the ridge.

He said that we should just get rid of the vent gas ridges as they weren't being used anymore. There was also a soil stack vent but i moved this from the ridge and stuck on a vent within the loft space.

He quoted £650 to remove the vent ridge tiles, and i payed him.

He sub contracted this to one of his friends, and the friend who was also a roofer started doing the work.

When he was halfway through the job, he aired his concerns to me that by removing the vent ridge tiles, that this would trap condensation within the loft space.

I was worried about this when he told me, and asked if anything could be done about he mentioned the possibility of vent tiles or vent bricks to be installed instead. I asked him if he could fit anything but didnt have time to.

I went up onto the roof to see the work that he had done, and where he had taken the ridge off again, he broke some tiles, he replaced them with tiles that wernt the same without saying a word of that to me. The tiles didn't sit right and were raised high with muck underneath them. It looked really messy.

I phoned back and voiced my concerns, he said that he would come round and fix the correct tiles, but that i would have to provode the tiles this time.

I bought what i thought looked similar to the tiles (turns out they did look similar but were slightly wrong) again i am no roofer and this guy didn't give me any indication to what i was looking for.

He came to fot these wrong tiles, but didn't check before he had got up on the roof and was pulling everything he had previously done on the roof off. He then after he had done this notified me that they were the wrong tile. But as he had broken the other tiles he couldn't do anything.

He left the roof with the tiles on the roof but not fitted, the ridge was 'dry fitted' with no cement mix, and uneven ridges etc. The weather the next day was rain, and there was no tarp on the roof to protect it from the weather.

My main things are that i wasn't informed that there would be moisture build up in the loft until the job was way way ubder way.

The tiles were not checked before hand.

The sand/cement mix on the ridge tiles looked to be a poor mixture and completely different from visit 1 to visit 2 (visit 1 was lots greyer, visit 2 was very sandy).

There was no tarp put over an exposed roof when there was chance of rain.

Am i being silly, or ahould i expect more from a roofer?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20220226_142409.jpg
    IMG_20220226_142409.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG-20220226-WA0012.jpg
    IMG-20220226-WA0012.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 107
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It's a mess.
The new tiles look like redland 50s the original are redland regents.
They could easily took a few out at low level to finish the ridge properly then got a few of the correct and slipped them in the bottom .
I wouldn't pay , its a vock up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back