Help ! Advice please....

what i mean about the shower tray is someone told me that before you put the tiles down u seal any small gap between the shoer tray and wall with waterproof tape.
Don’t see the point & I’ve never done it; in fact under certain circumstances, movement in the tray could dislodge the bottom row of tiles. The tiles should overlap the top of the tray slightly so water running off the tiles is directed onto the top of the tray & not in the joint.
As for silicone, i always thought u grouted the very bottom vertical space between the tiles and the tray and then siliconed over that ? i.e. u see a bead of silicone around the botom of the tray when you look down.
Don’t grout between the tray & the tiles it will only crack & fall out; the tiller should have left around a 3mm gap between the top of the tray & the underside of the tiles. As I said previously, seal this gap in 2 stages; using a thin nozzle, inject silicone well into the gap between the tray & the tiles to provide a seal between the 2, scrape off any excess silicone so it’s recessed below the tiles & leave it to set. Then using a thicker nozzle on the gun (cut the tip off), apply another uniform bead of silicone over the original & finish off so it forms a nice radius bead between the tray & the tiles; this can be the tricky bit for the inexperienced.

Sponsored Links
some guy on the other thread is saying u should silicone the shower tray to the wall..... he doesnt seem to agree with the silicone twice approach either lol. Let me know what you think on that thread if u dont mind and also if u have a suggestion for my small gap between the pb and aquaboard.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=158246

Paul from PITT says you should silicone the outside (viewable) between tray and tile. Not underneath, to allow the tray to move. Packing silicone into it would create aninflexiable wedge was what i think he was saying.

many opinions it seems?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back