Help/Advice with Path/Landscaping Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I seen other people's queries answered by so many helpful people on here so thought I'd try my own now. A problem shared is a problem halved!

Our new house has a really steep, straight concrete path up to the front door. I'm fairly fit but it is a brute walking up it! What I'm after is something more user friendly and pleasing on the eye too :)

My plan is to break up the path and go for something using railway sleepers, brickwork, maybe some local stone slabs. Examples I've found:

I think even a slight curve will be better than what we have. What do people think so far?

Can I lay sleepers straight onto the earth or should they be on say, type 1 and bedded in somehow (what depth if foundation required?). Do they need fixing together? Anything else you think I need to know just shout.

My other issue is the front lawn, at the top of the path by the house.

The slope down is quite considerable making it unusable really. What I'm planning is to dig out the soil in front of it and build a retaining wall in maybe sleepers but most likely local stone.

Then leveling the lawn. I've seen some photos online and projects have retaining pieces tying the wall in deep under the soil - I don't want to do major excavations! Obviously I'll be leaning it back slightly towards the house ...but again any advice/ideas will be much appreciated.

Oh yes, one last thing. I wanted to try and measure the length/drop so that the path steps look fairly equal. How can you do that with such a steep slope?

I have two albums on here with a couple more pics, if it helps (could add some more angles too)

I really appreciate any help/advice

Sponsored Links
see the pavingexpert site for loads of advice on steps (including advice about height) and building with sleepers.

Dont use sleepers for the treads of steps they are deadly slippy when wet and covered in algae.

It is a fast easy way to make steps hence its popularity but not for a path that gets used al lot.

By all means use them to retain but not for the treads of steps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back