Help and advice with laying patio - much appreciated :-)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys...i need your help.

Am about to lay a patio outside a new extension bit but after some advice...the hardcore i have put down is just smashed concrete tiles, i can only get the bits so small..they are like stones at a beach, maybe a bit bigger (will attach pics in a bit) i was thinking of using sharp sands to fill in all the little gaps , then hiring a whacker plat to get it as flat as possible...do you think these smashed concrete tiles will be ok for sub base?

After that was going to just give a thin layer of sharp sand...then lay 450mm by 450mm paving slabs BUT wasn't sure if i should lay on just sand..or put dabs of mortar down..as it may be easier to lay them flat this way (with mortar as i can manouvre them easier maybe?)..i know i have to have a small fall away from the house..but i am leaving a 150mm gap between the wall and the first slab going away from the house (there will be a step down) so the paving slab height might come up near the damp course but as i say there will be a gap so nothing will gather against the brickwork to the house.

Getting it level is going to be a nightmare i know it is..i then have the manhole to contend with...i know i can get a tray, the manhole is about 600mm by 400m..i gather i just fit the tray over it then lay pavers in it matching the pattern to the paving slabs outside it??...(so will need to cut them)...anyway...can see it all going wrong. Also how do i weed proof it? I cant now lay a weed membrane down as i have all the smashed tiles down..cheers guys..pics included. I have also build a two brick step down onto the garden so pavers will need to probably be cut to stay in line with that...although it is out by half an each from one side to the other..which is a pain. I wont be laying the slabs right up against the garden wall (or fence on the other side) so will be leaving a 200-300mm gap that i will fill with pea shingle. Any advice/help welcome.
patio1.jpg
patio2.jpg
patio3.jpg
patio4.jpg
patio5.jpg

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but definitely think you need to get (a lot) of sand onto that and whack/vibrate it down between and to bed the stones. If you don't then the any sand you use to lay the slabs will disappear :oops:. Check gumtree or ebay for a whacker - like cement mixers and similar, people buy for their DIY project then sell on - I even made a small profit! On the mortar question, better to lay on a raked bed than dabs. Check out the pavingexpert website for brilliant guidance.

Blind it with sharp sand,whack it down and bed the slabs on a sharp sand cement mix around 6:1 mix,damp not wet.
Best way would be to use a screeded bed. Or hand lay if your upto doing that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back