help before the building inspector comes calling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Had a large raft and ring beam poured last week, unfortunately the form work started collapsing and the trenches became really dangerous due to the weather. I was planning to float and polish the raft to use as finished floor, but did not get anywhere near it and had to call the guys off after vibrating.

The proposed timber framed building is meant to be built along the middle of the edge/ring beam, but due to the form work problems I have areas that are lower than the level for the sole plate and areas that are higher (all over the place).

Firstly, I am hoping someone may be able to advise on how I can reduce the levels that are too high, I have a stihl saw and can obviously do loads of chases and knock out the slices, but is their anything more sensible on the market to achieve a flatter leveller finish?
As I am on the edge of the raft, a floor planer may be too wieldy to control.

Secondly, is there anyway I can bring the lower levels up to the ffl? I will use fischer fixings -to fix the timber- that will go through any new material into the existing pour, but am worried that I will not achieve the structural requirements as per the engineers design.

I will be speaking to the BCO shortly and am hoping to be armed with potential solutions before he tells me to break loads of it out!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

James.

Sponsored Links
The BCO will not be (can't be) concerned with the unevenness of the concrete as this is unlikely to be a structural issue

You can cut high bits out with a disc saw, or there are rotating grinders like floor polishers to even out high bits, but you will have to see if their use is appropriate

Low bits can be made up with sand cement, or an epoxy cement product if fast set and higher strength is needed

The fixings are not really to hold the frame down, but just to keep it in place, so are not a big structural issue

But you need to sort the levels and dimensions out as the base is the main thing and could affect the rest of the build. It was not a good start to have the formwork collapse, so your builders need to take more care and plan better

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back