Help - Bubbles under lining paper - will it cover

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Hoping there's still a few up this eve!

I'm having some decorating done and some wallpapering of a feature wall included.
The decorator has put the lining paper up today and the patterned paper due to go over it tomorrow.
My concern is that there are quite a few bubbles in the lining paper - not sure if these will cover or show through?
Through the eve a lot have dried out, but I think there will still be some in the morning.
Will speak with him tomorrow before start, but concerned this isn't right and bubbles will show through.

Hoping for speedy feedback! Thanks

Sponsored Links
The bubbles should dry out and disappear overnight. Until they do, there is no point in putting more paper on top. If the bubbles are a result of insufficient glue being applied, he will need to cut into them and apply more, then stick them back down.

Make sure he is going to put the top paper on using the same adhesive as for the lining paper and that the lining paper is hung horizontally. If he has hung it vertically, it is setting up potential problems withe joins separating on the top paper.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

The bubbles should dry out and disappear overnight. Until they do, there is no point in putting more paper on top. If the bubbles are a result of insufficient glue being applied, he will need to cut into them and apply more, then stick them back down.

Ok, will have a look tomorrow morning.

Make sure he is going to put the top paper on using the same adhesive as for the lining paper and that the lining paper is hung horizontally. If he has hung it vertically, it is setting up potential problems withe joins separating on the top paper.

Alas it has been hung vertically. It should be the same adhesive though.
I guess the best I can hope for from here is that the joins of the top are well away from the joins of the lining paper underneath.

Sorry to say your decorator has made several mistakes before really doing the job,
Did he size the wall prior to hanging the lining paper ?
It appears he did not let the lining paper soak long enough hence the bubbles,
the lining paper should have been hung horizontally, information on how to hang lining paper is normally found in the instructions included in the roll of lining paper.
You may be lucky and get a reasonable finish though.

Sponsored Links
He doesn't sound like much of a decorator to me - some basic faults showing up there. I'd stop him before he hangs the finish paper and get someone who knows what they are doing.

He might get away with the lining paper being vertically hung as it is slightly wider than standard wallpaper and therefore the joints may not coincide. But bubbles are a no-no.

The horizontal/vertical argument is an old one, i agree with EB and BW it should always be hung horizontally to receive paper, its not just about the potential of joints lining up, its about force. Once applied a paper applies a lot of force trying to pull away from the wall, so two papers applied in the same direction will exhort more force in the same direction and increase the chance of it lifting.

Many thanks for the prompt feedback.

Looked this morning and all lining paper was bubble free. Think they were maybe paste bubbles?

I asked this morning about the vertical vs horizontal - he showed me the lining paper is wider than the top paper and said it will be ok.

The point of opposite directions sounds sensible. Maybe if I'd posted before, I'd have asked his plan and insisted. Ah well, hindsight!

The end results seem very good though. Pattern well matched, well butted and tidy at the ends. Very happy with the final results.
There was painting done too and it seems excellent. He caulked skirts, door casings, did quite a bit of surface filling and sanding where needed so the paint job looks good.

We were chatting and he has been a decorator for about 20+ years, and did say if I did have any problems to call him back.
Hopefully all will be well!

Glad it worked out well in the end,
Its an old chestnut, does one hang Lining paper vertical or horizontal as DC said
I vote for Horizontal when hanging wallpaper, vertical if painting. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back