Help - building control, built outdoor oven next to fence. Advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Rather stupidly I have got carried away and built a large out door kitchen (25 sq m) with two large wood fired ovens. I was thinking we will never go abroad again and was trying to recreate a holiday at home. Left it all in the hands of the builder. The building is of wooden construction with two large flues, the flues are 4-5 meters high. I have now got a letter from enforcement saying we need planning permission and also a letter from building control saying I have broken planning regulations by building next to our neighbour's boundary (wooden fence), the size of the building and building material used. One of the ovens actually backs onto our neighbour's fence by about 30 cm.

What can I do?

Sponsored Links
Does it contravene planning and building regulations?

If not, either ignore the letter or reply that the building is compliant and no enforcement is required.

Contact both departments and request they inform you what different regulations they consider that you have contravened, do this by letter. They have to have had a valid reason to make these claims about your [structure].

Claim that you are ignorant of such "laws" and ask them to specify exactly what is wrong??

This will get them to commit and allow you to begin to question exactly where they are coming from?

Ken

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back