Help: Bulge In Wall... Urgent Please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Dear all,

I am in a process of buying this property to be my sweet home and the buying process is half way. Not signed a contract yet..

I have noticed today that the wall (gable end - end terraced house , if i am using correct terminology) is little bit out of synch nearthe back end of the house . The extension wall is a plumb and where both walls meet, they dont join smoothly, and the main wall is slightly bowing around that area.

I have attached the pictures of the wall, while me approaching towards front of the house from back.

There are no other signs, i.e cracks etc in the wall, However the chimney has been reported to be leaning in front in the report which i thought not a major worry at the time.

Can someone please suggest me what should i do

1> Is this a worry for me and how big ? Not sure how the bank valuer/surveyor missed this ???
2>Please any ideas / suggestion..

thanks.

View media item 61984 View media item 61985

Sponsored Links
my thought are because its an extension no part off it can intrude onto the public highway
so what they have done is set it back about an inch so the timber at the top at the roof is on there land
this assumes its a public or joint bit off land

what survey did you have done ???
if you say home buyers report it only tells the building society its worth more than they are lending the house can be in a bad state but they will not tell you this as its a lenders report

Thanks for response.

You are right, and this is what i have been thinking since last 2 months when a question popped up 2 month ago abt why they are not in same line.

However if you look at the image, the gap is not as big as its half way up if you look at the foundation in the attached images.

The wall around that + a bit towards front (highlighted in yellow) looks little bulge, as i had a look at the wall today.

Is this a worry at all, if there is a slight bulge?

Going up, the wall is perfectly inside and inline, infact the ends are slight outside than middle part in upper areas, its just this bottom area and near the extension join the wall forms a slight pop and out of line.

Please share your thoughts, thank you .

Gable walls in older houses often bulge a little, in many cases caused by a lack of restraint from the first floor (my guess is that the stairs run up that wall?). Its probably been like that for years.
Unless there is a new and noticeable crack where the old brickework meets new, it's nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
no expert
so assuming nothing is out off plumb by more than say 1" vertically
there are no cracks greater than 5mm i wouldn't be to worried
the house will be around 100 years old probably on a brick foot around 12" wide on the soil so some movement will happen

Are those your pictures or from the estate agents or someone?

They've been photoshopped. Just look a the left hand side of the upstairs window - there is brickwork where there should be window frame

Are those your pictures or from the estate agents or someone?

They've been photoshopped. Just look a the left hand side of the upstairs window - there is brickwork where there should be window frame
google earth???

Thanks for your responses.

Just to add info abt questions , There are no cracks, n stairs on the other side wall.

However, wen they did extension in house, the ground floor wall (back) has been removed to create a large combined kitchen dinner suported by Some sort of beam by previous owners.

Would that weight of back wall might be creating a bulge In gable wall ? Is that a possibility ? As i m complete novice .

Thanks

I think you need to post up some real pictures of the joint.

The pictures you have posted may be showing shadows etc so are hard to make any sence of.

I imagne the original house corner would have been straight to the ground, take an imaginary line from the house corner higher up straight down to the ground.
The extension part looks as though it has been joined with curves.
I maybe wrong but I wouldn't imagine it would have been connected that way, a real picture will show how it is connected and whether there is need for further investigation.

Cheers.

The extension doesn't look like it's tied into the existing property very tidily. The way it's been done they couldn't possibly have used wall starters. Could easily have been toothed into the original, had they used imperial bricks

Post back in fifty or sixty years if there's any evidence of further movement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back