HELP: Can I get building regs after work has been done

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I replaced a window in my house with french doors in 2009. A local builder did the work for me. All the builder did was knock the bottom out of the window, no widening or changing the lintel. I didn't think of building regulations at the time. I am now selling my house and I have to declare on my solictors form the building work I have had done.

Did I need regs and, if yes, can I get them now now the work is complete?

Help

Sponsored Links
You should be able to pay for an indemnity (about £35) to cover this as part of the sale. Your solicitor will set it up.

Indemnity will not always be accepted and there are no guarantees the work was done properly, you should get the council to retrospectively approve the work. You can apply to the council for a Regularisation Certificate. This is the only guaranteed document to work everytime.

I would speak to the council first though as some would say this work may be exempt although at the very least this is a replacement window/door.

You now have two option rather than one.

What has the bloke done that needs inspecting or certificating!?

So long as the doors are toughened glass, and were of the latest 'u' value at the time then there should be no issues.

There may be some slight glass per floor area contravention but hardly the crime of the century.

Sponsored Links
Looking through my old emails. Found an email to the local council (with ref number) inquiring about PLANNING permission (no mention of regs). On the phone the council guy said that I probably dont need permission, but again this was for Planning, oops!

Looking through my old emails. Found an email to the local council (with ref number) inquiring about PLANNING permission (no mention of regs). On the phone the council guy said that I probably dont need permission, but again this was for Planning, oops!

One of the requirements of most indemnity policies is that the LA is not aware that the work has been done (I don't think asking if you need planning is the same as them knowing yu did the work and the planning dept is generally distinct from the BR dept) .

Speak to your solicitor before contacting the LA or you may get your self stuck.

Either FENSA or BR would have done at the time.

From 2009 it will be exempt from any action, but none would have been taken in any case.

The buyers surveyor will be able to comment much more (and more usefully) on the standard of the work, than any council BCO inspection

If the work is done properly then you just knock £100 off the sale price if it's an issue

If you go for regularisation, then for this to be certified properly there should be some invasive investigation - so its potentially much more than the £250 or so fee.

Remember the fee wont be just for the window, its a structural change so you'll pay the appropriate fee for that. And any opening up and making good costs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back