Help certain lights not working downstairs

cjx

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,I was pointed to this direction by someone in the know who said you were a helpful lot here.The problem started like this -

I went downstairs as usual this morning and turned the living room and kitchen lights on.All was o.k then 5 minutes later the kitchen lights dimmed for a couple of seconds then went a bit brighter then went off all together.When they went off the living room,downtairs hall,dining room and lobby all went off aswell,the downstairs toilet and garage still work though.

I've checked all the light fittings and switches and all the wires seem to be inplace.

When I flick the downstairs light trip switch down the garage and toilet light goes off so I suppose it eliminates that being faulty.
Has anybody an idea to try to sort this out.

Sponsored Links
have you done any DIY work recently? if u have you could of damaged a cable what has eventually got worse and stopped workin. does the MCB or anything trip when u try to use the lights what dont work?

andrew2022 said:
have you done any DIY work recently? if u have you could of damaged a cable what has eventually got worse and stopped workin. does the MCB or anything trip when u try to use the lights what dont work?

Thanks for the reply.
No I haven't done any work around the house recently(ask the her indoors) and the mcb doesn't trip at all.
The only other thing I can think of is that a couple of bulbs have gone in the kitchen recently and I've just replaced them.There the 3 * spotlight kind.Is there a way of knowing if this light is playing up at all?

Possible loose connection in a junction box or ceiling rose, difficult to find without test gear, do you have any furry friends living under your floor, they have a taste for pvc insulation

Sponsored Links
crystal ball said:
Possible loose connection in a junction box or ceiling rose, difficult to find without test gear, do you have any furry friends living under your floor, they have a taste for pvc insulation

Thanks for the reply.
What sort of test gear would I need.I bought a screwdriver that lights up when theres a live connection near it (not a electricians screwdriver) but I don't think this helps much.

P.S. No mice in our house. :LOL:

set of mains test lamps such as Martindales or a multimeter but probably easier to get a spark in, and safer

crystal ball said:
set of mains test lamps
:?: do you mean a voltage indicator

I am sorry crystal ball but try that you do, why do i get the impression that you try to impress but know not a lot

Well I've decided to get an electrician,he's coming on thursday so hopefully he'll be able to sort it out.Just hope its not too expensive.
Thanks for all the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back