its a bit dim downstairs :!:

lounge.. 2 sets of lights

hall .... 1 light

kitchen .. 1 flouresent tube

garage .. as kitchen

toilet... i light

outside .. 2 candle lights

outside porch light

I went to turn on one of the sets of lights in the lounge when others went out. The only ones that are on at the moment are

1 set in lounge, the toilet light, the hall light and the porch light.
I have checked the MCB's but that strangely didnt trip out :?:
any ideas please P M

Sponsored Links
hi, s

do you have an upper and lower lighting circuit? is the upper still working?

the way lights are wired normally is (if you dont know) in a radial circuit from one to another

i.e.... hall to room to kitchen to toilet ....ect

if some are working and some arent then it suggests a break in the 'line' somewhere. maybe a wire has come away from a terminal or maybe a rat has chewed cable, could be a number of things!

you could try taking a few cieling roses down(power off of course) and see if you can see anything obvious.

ps, have you hung any pictures today or done anything that could have disturbed some cables?

Have you tried turning off the MCB(s) and then back on again?

Sometimes when an MCB trips the lever stays in the on position, and requires you to reset it.

Thanks for reply....
lights working ok upstairs, bit of trial and error then ! I have changed single socket to double today but thats nothing to do with it is it

How did you know ive been picture hanging today :?: but that was upstairs :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply....
lights working ok upstairs, bit of trial and error then ! I have changed single socket to double today but thats nothing to do with it is it

How did you know ive been picture hanging today :?: but that was upstairs :D

jeese i must be psychic :LOL:

often faults come about when youve 'disturbed' things so to speak.

wouldnt think the socket would be anything to do with it but you never know how somebody might have wired your house DIY tyle previously!!

you may have put a nail through a cable though so you could check this. turn the power off first though-the nail could be live!!!!

RF Lighting said:
Have you tried turning off the MCB(s) and then back on again?

Sometimes when an MCB trips the lever stays in the on position, and requires you to reset it.

they seem to be ok now, strange that, anyway thanks P M

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back