HELP! CLAY SOIL!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20210402_113200.jpg
20210401_112458.jpg
Hi guys,

I've attached photos.
Front of my house I'm preparing area for laying down decorative gravel.
You can see in the photos that I've removed 6" thick blue clay. Horrible stuff. The gravel was a thin layer laid by house developers 20 years ago! Blue plastic sheeting was used as weed membrane. Unbelievable!
My thoughts are can I use this clay mixed with the gravel and shovel it back in as it will be to deep to lay decorative gravel and it will cost too much. I think I need only 2" of decorative gravel on top. So I need to refill with 4".
Or should I dump the clay and fill with 4" of normal gravel?
Because of solid clay before I don't think there was any drainage and what with the plastic sheeting under 1" inch gravel weeds and slime was sitting on top.

So would it be okay to refill area with the clay and break it up, mixing it with gravel or sand? Plan is then to lay planter boxes in areas ie over and in front of ugly meter box.
Look forward to responses.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back