HELP - Complete newbie - No Hot Water :(

i just went into the loft and the loft tank is empty? theres only about 1cm worth of water in the tank :eek:

Water is turned off to the header tank.
You need to switch it on. Look for a valve. Follow the pipe back from the ball valve.

Sponsored Links
i just went into the loft and the loft tank is empty? theres only about 1cm worth of water in the tank :eek:

Water is turned off to the header tank.
You need to switch it on. Look for a valve. Follow the pipe back from the ball valve.

Could be that the float valve in that there tank is stuck in the 'up' position. If its near horizontal push it down. If its about 20° below horizontal it should be open and let water in to the tank. Still not letting water in ? Then trace back starting at the float valve which could be blocked itself then look for a valve as stated above.

I just went back up in there and double checked. The Ball is facing downwards about 45 degrees so im guessing thats probably not the issue. Also the smaller tank next to the big one i noticed the lid was not on properly and when i tried to put it on the lid is actually smaller than the tank itself so that the water is exposed (was a few spiders in it) so i assume that itself needs to be sorted.

Im thinking that it is probably time to call a pro, although i do think that ive learnt alot myself i the past 12 hours and was kinda determined to try fi it myself since ive come quite far hahaha

I still think it's likely to be something daft like a valve not being turned on.

A bit more effort could be worth your while. Trace the pipe back and make sure every valve is anticlockwise and look out for 'service valves which have a screwdriver slot in the middle of them. The logic here is that if the slot runs across the pipe it is off and if it is in line with the pipe it is on. There could be one of these hidden under the insulation.

I'm just trying to spare you the embarrassment some people suffer when a plumber turns up and opens a valve.

Sponsored Links
Basic question, but your COLD water main is turned ON on the stopcock? Its usually a valve under the kitchen sink or a downstairs WC.

I would assume you have cold water elsewhere in the property as your post is concerned with hot water. Assuming this is the case then it is either a valve shut off somewhere or the ballcock is blocked solid with crud (unlikely).

As said, trace the supply back from the cistern (tank) and see what you can find. Any plumber is going to do exactly the same thing if there is water at the cold taps!

The smaller tank is the feed and expansion cistern for the CH system, dont expect the water in there to be crystal clear, but a properly fitting lid and good layer of insulation is important for both tanks, and any pipework in the loft space!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back