HELP:Consumer Unit Full & need additional 30A MCB for sh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have run into a small problem & was wondering if someone could give me some guidance.

I have a Crabtree C50 consumer unit which is already fully populated & i need to add another 30A MCB for electric shower. There is a 30A MCB in the unit already but it is used for the electric oven(2KW). Can someone please suggest the easiest to get additional 30A MCB in place for the shower.

Would the following ideas work?

1. Combine the upstairs & downstairs light ring & therefore free up slot to take additional 30A MCB for shower
2. Use a separate garage unit next to C50 just for the shower

If you have comments on these ideas or a better one to share please do so.

I will be getting an electrician to do the work but i just would like to know all of the options before i speak to him.

Thanks

:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
archy121 said:
....I have a Crabtree C50 consumer unit...
That's an excellent product, and fifty years ago would have been the finest equipment you could get. However, it is now due an honourable retirement. It might have been fitted within the last 20 years by someone who liked traditional products, but this is unusual, since they are large and not cheap.

If the rest of your installation is of similar age, you need to be thinking about having it inspected and will probably need other upgrading as well.

If funding is a problem, I would suggest having a new circuit installed, supplied from a new CU. You could have a good big one installed (the extra cost of a bigger plastic box with some fresh air inside it is not great) to make it easier to add additional new circuits in future.

p.s. 30A is rather small for an electric shower

FWIW, if I were installing a shower circuit from scratch, I would use 10 or 16mm² (depending upon circuit characteristics) & a 50A breaker to future-proof it.

16mm² is twice the price of 6mm², but a worthwhile investment, I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back