HELP! Downlight not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I cannot get a replacement downlight working for some reason.

I briefly connected it without a switch just for testing. Could it have damaged it by bypassing the switch? Or does this have no bad consequences?

Sponsored Links
Well - no consequences by not having a switch, but do you mean it then worked or still didn't work?

It has never worked. The downlight is Enlight DLM982X. It says max 50W ans 220-240V on the box.

I tried first using 5W dimmable LED, and it says 220-240V on the box.

Then I tried with a non-dimmable 3.1W. Doesn’t say the voltage and still no luck.

Power was getting to the downlight. I then tried with a switch, and traced power and the wiring seemed fine but still no lights.

Sponsored Links
As usual... how do you know power was getting to the downlight. What means of testing did you use?

Power tracer pen. When switch was off no beep on the switched live cable. When I turned on switch it beeped.

When I installed it with no switch it beeped too.

You probably lost the neutral. You need a two probe voltage tester or multimeter. To measure voltage line to neutral.

I'll just get a sparky in. But sounds like I did not damage it by first not having a switch?

The live cable that usually goes to the switch was connected to the light directly instead of the switched live.

That's no difference really ,and if you had the circuit switched off at an MCB for instance ,when you turned it on you did use a switch !!!

Yes, so no idea why it’s not working, very strange. Time to get sparky in to check if they’re faulty. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back