Help - Drayton RF3+ Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am really hoping someone can help me.

We moved into this property 2 years ago and had the boiler & heating system replaced straight away. We have a Valliant Eco Boiler with SCR receiver (wired in) and a RF1 in the hall. We got really fed up for the RF1 as we have to manually turn heating on/off so decided to buy a RF3+ this weekend which we could programme.

The thing is, I have followed the instructions from the RF3+ and nothing seems to happen ie the boiler & rf3 aren't talking to each other. I have tried the 10 step programme (that should work for thr rf3) but still nothing. There are no flashing lights on the SCR unit.

I really need some help - if anyone has any suggestions??

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Have you replaced the old SCR with the one that came with the RF3? I think these will only work as matched pairs because different radio channels are used.

No, we used our original SCR unit, I thought they would be compatible with any of the RF's. So is that correct, you have to buy them together? I wonder why they sell them seperately??

Thanks though, if it is true, it would explain why its not working!

No, I think I'm wrong. Looking at the installation guide it does appear that the SCR and the RF unit set up an 'RF address' when you carry out the installation, so are not matched units. If they are sold separately, then that must be the case.

Sponsored Links
I came across this warning on a web site selling the new SCR:

This product operates on a frequency of 433mhz, and is not interchangeable with earlier 418mhz units. If you are replacing an RF component that operates on 418mhz, both transmitter and receiver must be replaced.

Frequencies can be identified by the following branding:

418mhz = ACL Drayton
433mhz = Drayton

If your original unit is an ACL Drayton, it looks like it will not be compatible.

We have an iflo, which I just called Drayton about, he said it should be on the new frequency, I very much doubt it though. How fustrating, thanks for your help though, you've been brill.

Should I have seen a flashing light when using an old RF1? On one of the sheets I read it talks about a flashing red light every few seconds, but I have never seen it flash, ever. I am wondering if its an electrical wiring problem now?

Thanks for anyones advice!

Why do you think it may be a wiring problem? If the SCR worked OK with the RF1, then the SCR must be wired correctly. Does the RF1 still work with the SCR?

The SCR unit itself could be faulty, ive found more faults with the reciever than with the stat itself.

I thought it maybe a wiring problem as I can't recall the SCR unit ever flashing. I have just set the old RF1 up with the SCR unit and it does flash, so obviously the plumber never actually installed it properly, hence why we have had to turn the dial on our boiler up & down to get heat and manually switch it off. So at least I know the SCR is working fine.

I am now under the impression it could be Iflo not being compatable with Drayton or the FM frequency bands are different?

I feel I am getting somewhere. Now what to do,

1. Buy new RF through Travis Perkins, so I get a Iflo one (not sure it will be same (RF wave)
2. Buy an old Iflo RF3 (if I can find one on ebay)
3. Buy a new Drayton SCR unit & RF3+

any advice?

It does look like the SCR is incompatible with the RF3. Best bet would be take the RF3 back where you bought it and ask for compatible SCR.

Alternatives:

You could stick with the RF1 now that you’ve got that working. But it sounds like you need timer control.

Get your money back on the RF3 and buy a Honeywell CM927 which most people seem to agree is the best wireless programmable stat available. That would eliminate any questions of compatibility because you will get a new receiver and transmitter. The complication is you would have to wire in the new receiver.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back