Replace wired Drayton Thermostat with Wireless RF3 Digistat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi al

I have had to replace a wired Drayton Thermostat with a wireless RF3 as I believed it would be easier than running new cable under the floor etc.

Anyway they both use the same backplate (see pix) and are wired the same way (ie: N- blue, L- Red, Call-Yellow) So when I power off the boiler controls and power on with the new SCR in place, the boiler does not click on when I push the override. When the old dial thermo is put back it clicks on straight away. According to the instructions I cannot continue to pair up the SCR with the WiFi thermo until the overide is working.

Anybody seen this before
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Anyway they both use the same backplate (see pix) and are wired the same way (ie: N- blue, L- Red, Call-Yellow)
They may use the same backplate, but the SCR needs four wires. The existing red live wire comes from the timer/programmer CH ON terminal, so it is not a permanent live, which the SCR needs.

The correct wiring is:

A Permanent Live (e.g from wiring centre) to L
Neutral to N
Red to 1
Yellow to 3.

It's all shown in the Installation Instructions.

Thanks for the info

To clarify one thing in the instrctions, Am I working to the "Combi boiler basic wiring layout" or "Zone Control Basic wiring layout" ?

To clarify one thing in the instructions, Am I working to the "Combi boiler basic wiring layout" or "Zone Control Basic wiring layout" ?
Presumably you know if you have a combi boiler. :confused:

However, the fact that you have three wires suggests that you do not. So the Zone diagram is the one to follow - or my instructions which are easier to follow!
The main difference is in the source of the mains power. Combi's usually have a direct mains feed, which is then used to supply the SCR. Regular boilers get supplied with mains voltage, via the timer and stat, when there is a call for heat.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back