Help -Ferroli 701 not igniting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Just came home and noticed had no HW or CH on my Ferroli 701.

Gas pilot is lit
Pressure is ok.
PRV is not passing.
EV has 1.2 Bar and is not releasing water from the shrader valve (so balloon ok)
Fan is spinning at low speed (90v) and speeds up to full speed (230v) when called via HW tap or wired room stat.
APS relay is energised.

Feels like pump is running but its cold to touch (i do have a Grundfoss magnetic tester somewhere BUT all that will tell me is if theres voltage/field at it.....

Anything else i can test with my multimeter, like flow or any other sensors?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
This is the model -https://www.freeboilermanuals.com/assets/pdf/ferroli/Optima_701_Manual.pdf

RGI territory I am afraid.

I have another update.
I noticed a slight squeaking noise from the fan. Presume it’s a bearing.

I switched it off at mains and back on the the fan is not starting yet has 90v at idle.
I did get it to run though after giving it a ‘glum’ and it also ran at full speed/230v when demand was called.

I spoke to a GSE and he stated to check APS (I know that’s ok).
Also to check CH pump by just removing the central screw and poking a screwdriver in it.

I did not do that test but I did find my magnetic pump tester (as above I think it just looks for rotating stator voltage).
It was not spinning.

I’m considering just trying a new fan as that is definitely not ok. It will not run now at all.

The confusing part is that it was at first and all conditions were met for it to fire up.

I’ve know it used LEDS as fault indication and after googling I think that if LED 5 goes red after 3 mins it’s a PCB fault.

Could the faulty fan or even pump caused a PCB failure?
Surely they should both be protected by quick blow 20mm fuses.
I’m amazed the fan is he stalling/getting hot yet there is no protection.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Gas safe engineer required. Simple fault seen it before.
What is this simple fault?
I’ve ordered new fan.
I fitted this boiler around 1997/98 ish.

Thanks.

Last edited:
No gas related advice allowed .

I disagree.
The gas valve is controlled by the PCB/probably a 12v or 24v output to a solenoid.
Not difficult and as a spark to test and I’m more than competent to test it.
It’s a very simple boiler with very little required to function.
The pilot is lit without it even powered.

I think if you actually knew the problem you would answer.

==========================================================================
Gas Work: You will not be competent to go through all the appropriate tests of 26.9 when you think you've finished, will you?
Execution of these is a legal requirement.
Just because it works, doesn't mean it is safe or will fail safe.

In the same way, a gas fitter wouldn't know which 18th Edn regs apply or how to test.
- - - - - - - - Mod.
==========================================================================

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would I give free advice, on gas safety, what costs me a fortune every year to renew. Good luck bud

I disagree.
You may disagree, and I'm not going to argue. However, the forum rules state:
Screenshot_20230206-213846_Chrome.jpg

And the question you are asking comes under these terms, whether we like it, or not.

To avoid the forum moderators, I don't think you will find anyone to help answer your question here.

You may be more than competent; however, this is a public forum - people far less competent than you can still see any advice given, and end up in a whole load of trouble.

=============
Thanks all. . Mod
=============

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back