HELP! Flooded underlay!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My late father's house, which we are due to be renting out after Christmas, had a flood last week and two pipes exploded, causing lots of water damage to curtains, walls, ceilings and carpets etc. We managed to get all of the water out of the carpets which now feel dry but the underlay is still soaking wet. Can anyone advise an easy and inexpensive method of getting this water out? Would a dehumidifier do the trick? This is an absolute nightmare and I'd really appreciate any advice anyone has.

Sponsored Links
You may end up having to change it! ...and you may yet end up changing the carpet too

What type of underlay is it? PU is more likely to be salvageable than rubber which always seems to stink (bad) after getting wet.
In fact bad smells will be your real problem after a flood.

What does your Insurance company advise?

claim on insurance mate.

the carpets will of been damaged also and are not fit for purpose along with nasty smells and bacteria etc that will be growing.

Ouch!

I've just joined this forum, i'm looking to save some money on underlay.

You might be better off scrapping the underlay. There are loads of companies online selling cheap underlay. What it would cost to save it you might be better off buying a new underlay.

As for the carpet, that will definitely need replacing, wool when damp/wet will smell :( :cry:

Can you not claim off the insurance?

Sponsored Links
pull it up and throw it away.

Check your insurance. Depending on the policy, if it has been left unoccupied for a certain period, and/or unheated you will not be covered.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back