Help - fuse board no trip switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to change a bathroom pull cord switch as my current one is faulty.

I need to turn off the electrics in my bathroom but i cannot find the pull switch in the fuse board to do this. I can only see the fuse....

I thought each fuse (switches, cookers) should have a pull switch? Or do i need to turn off the main fuse to turn off of the electric in my home?

I have attached a photo.

Thanks all.

Attachments

• 20200412_101750.jpg
    20200412_101750.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 370
Sponsored Links
To be sure switch off at the main switch, you have fuses which can be pulled out

They used fuses and the installation seems to pre-date the common use of MCB's. You can isolate the switch by pulling out the two fuse carriers marked 5A lights, or the main switch to their right.

I think the fuses used will be cartridge fuses (similar to 13amp plug fuses), which will not be that easy to source if one should blow in the future, so well worth your while getting a set in stock just in case.

They used fuses and the installation seems to pre-date the common use of MCB's. You can isolate the switch by pulling out the two fuse carriers marked 5A lights, or the main switch to their right.

I think the fuses used will be cartridge fuses (similar to 13amp plug fuses), which will not be that easy to source if one should blow in the future, so well worth your while getting a set in stock just in case.

OP - Make sure you prove that the pull cord connections are dead if you just pull the lighting fuses. Dont just assume that the circuits are dead just because you have pulled the labelled fuses, who knows what has been wired to what.

Sponsored Links
The fuse holders are marked as HRC holder, HRC = High Rupture Currrent

HRC fuses are far more robust than plug fuses.

This is an HRC fuse, there are also other types of termination

View attachment 188713

Yes, I know, that is why I suggested sourcing some spares ahead of any future problems. I had in mind a fuse failing on a bank holiday Friday and the OP being stuck for at least four days before replacements could be sourced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back