Help! Fuse spur switch on central heating timer panel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Just looking after my old dads place and his Honeywell central heating spur fuse switch keeps turning itself off.(although in ON position) and heating Timer panel goes blank

Not blowing the fuse (5amp) but it does immediately restart manually (panel and system come back to life) if switch turned off and in again? I am puzzled by this... I would understand if it might be blowing the fuse..but...

any help Greatly appreciated as it is rather random... heating can last an hour or 5 mins...brrrr

Sponsored Links
I'm not quite sure what you mean. This is a "fused spur switch" but I've never seen one made by Honeywell, they usually make programmers and thermostats. They are manually operated, so can't switch them selves off.

shopping.jpg

Or do you mean an RCD

ae235.jpg

But AFAIK as I know Honeywell don't make them either. If it is an RCD you are referring to, they trip when there is an earth fault. So maybe water leaking into the heating system electrics somewhere, such as the pump or a motorised valve.

Last edited:
Sorry...

it’s the first pic..

it is next to the Honeywell heating lcd panel...

Sponsored Links
So what switch keeps turning itself off? Fused spurs don't have a mechanism to do that.

Yes... but in ‘on’ position. ...Quite randomly. Might stay on for an hour but eventually cuts off.
When I then turn switch off and on...it powers up again....!!!

Ah OK, so as I understand it the switch stays in the 'on' position, but the power to the Honeywell heating control goes off. Switching the fused spur switch off and then back on again restores it. Is that correct?

Can you provide the model details of the Honeywell controller?

It seems to be standard computer idea, if it fails reboot it, often faulty electronic stuff will sprig back to life if switched off and back on.

It could be the FCU, but unlikely. As @stem says need more info.

I suspect that there is a problem with the Honeywell controller. If you have some basic electrical ability and can provide the model details of it, I may be able to suggest a couple of tests you could try.

I turned the power to the whole house off for a few minutes just in case there was some sort of residual thing going on with the panel and it was not completely resetting.... hasn’t gone off off a while...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back