Help! Had a full survey - need help understanding some of it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just received the survey report on a house I'm thinking of buying. Would appreciate an explanation of a couple of things please :)

1) "The threshold detail at the junction between the dining room and conservatory and also between the conservatory and outside require upgrading at the junction with the floor edge". (Category 3 fault)

I'm guessing there is a problem where the conservatory joins the house at floor level and this could possibly let in damp?

The conservatory apparently still has 2 years left on its warranty so maybe this is covered?

I think I need to call in an expert - would that be a general builder?

2) "Penetrating dampness is affecting the floor adjacent to the shower cubicle within the bathroom. I suspect this is due to spillage/leakage when the shower is used. Concealed timbers may be defective and the adjacent floor should be opened up and fully investigated" (Category 3 fault)

The surveyor detected a patch of kitchen ceiling underneath the bathroom has been repaired due to water damage.

This sounds like it could be bad. Call in a plumber / builder to assess the damage? Is this likely to be DIY-able?

3) "Attic space has been partly converted including installation of a staircase together with some strengthening of the floor structure and alteration to the roof supports. The roof structure is serving its purpose satisfactorily however the alteration works do not comply with the current Building Regulations in respect of conversion to a habitable room (especially in respect of means of escape in case of fire). (Category 3 fault)

This is a DIY loft conversion with some strengthening work carried out. I doubt planning permission was obtained for any of it but I'm not too bothered about that. Would there likely be a problem with buildings insurance if the work was not done properly?

Thanks for any advice,

Isley

Sponsored Links
the onus is on the presnt owner to sort these out if its not make sure its reflected in the buying price your cost of putting it right

1) Is not clear. Ask the surveyor for clafification?

2) Sounds like a previous repair. Ask the vendor for clarification of what was done, when and if there is a guarantee?

3) Was the room described as a bedroom? If so I would ask the estate agent to explain how it could be described as such when it clearly isn't? If it wasn't then it's your choice - take it or leave it. Can't see a problem with building insurance as long as you explain exactly what it is - a loft storage room.

futher to jeds reply the diy loft conversion should either be sold as a bedroom and fully comply with BC certificate or it is light storage only and not worth any extra value.

Its a classic place where people think i know its not a complying bedroom but it'll be a great games room, If you have any electrical sockets or playstations etc up there and it catches fire you will not be insured! Too many people pay extra for what they know is not a bedroom but still think its a usable space, its not its just pretty loft.

Sponsored Links
Installation of a fixed staircase instantly invokes building regulations and creates a 2nd storey - and it does not matter what the loft is called or sold as. If it has a fixed staircase, then the loft needs building regulations, or else the staircase has to be removed or access prevented.

It will impact on any insurance as it creates greater risk. The insurers must specifically be told of the situation and agree to it.

It may also be contrary to any mortgage terms

With regards to item 2, I would ask the survey how does a shower cause "penetrating dampness". If the shower outside causing water to come inside? I doubt it.

The shower has a leak, and if the surveyor turned on the shower, he may have spotted the cause :rolleyes:

As for item 1, well WTF is that all about? :eek: I see these reports every day and I am at a loss. It's complete cods wallop. Ask the idiot to explain in plain English, and suggest that its a good idea for clients to be able to understand the report they are paying for

Thanks for all the replies guys, very useful to a know-nothing first time buyer :)

The survey looked pretty scary but I called the vendor and went round to have another look. I also asked for clarification from the surveyor and got this response:

"Basically the edge of the flooring in the consevatory has not been
finished off at the junction with the french door opening - the wall
beneath the opening is 'exposed'- it will become obvious when you have
another look. I think the flooring also needs attention at the opening
into the main house."

I had a look and yes you can see where the concrete floor of the house meets the floor of the conservatory. I can't see how this comes under category 3 (urgent repair needed) and to me it is just a minor cosmetic problem. No damp or draughts.

Regarding (2) penetrating dampness. The owner told me he'd had a problem with the old shower tray leaking (which caused staining on the kitchen ceiling) and had fitted a new tray. He took up the floor tiles (rubber backed fabric tiles) and I checked the floor boards (wooden slats) and there was no damp problem. He even pulled up a couple of boards and I could see access to the plumbing under the shower tray and the main wood beams in the floorspace and it was all dry. I'm planning to replace the crappy fabric tiles with a waterproof bathroom floor (maybe lino) anyway.

Regarding (3) thanks for the info about insurance etc. The loft is a bit of a bodge job and I think I'll have the wiring (done by a mate of the vendor) stripped out and redone properly with the correct certificates etc. Will get some quotes on having fixed stairs redone to building regs or will look up what is required and see if I can do it myself.

After having a really good 2nd look today (2 hours) with the vendor, the survey looks like a major piece of arse-covering by the halifax. Nothing on there that was listed as category 3 (urgent repair needed) looked that way to me apart from the loft wiring which is all on the surface and needs to come out.

It's a solid late 1950s house with a fair bit of DIY done by the current owner that I'll probably have to upgrade bit by bit over time.

Cheers,

Isley

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back