HELP - has my roof been put on incorrectly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think our roof may have been put on incorrectly as the bottom of each tile (one nail towards the middle of the tile) appears to be nailed in (each nail is not fully nailed in and the end is slightly bent down wards) on further inspection the bottom of most of the roof tiles are not flush and appear to have lifted slightly.

I have a couple of spare tiles in the garage and they are just plain flat tiles - they are quite large (about 2 -3 foot in length). ANy thoughts?

I think they've put the tiles on upside down? has anyone any experience of nailing a tile at the bottom?

Sponsored Links
I think it is too ;) Those Nails are copper rivit things (don`t know the correct name :oops: ) but they should be there and bent over :idea:

Sponsored Links
Can you actually see that the rivets have pulled through the slates, or through the gap (a pair of binocs would help)?

Can you actually see that the rivets have pulled through the slates, or through the gap (a pair of binocs would help)?

Sorry I should be more precise! I've had a look and the rivets haven't pulled through the slates - but the bottom of quite a few of the tiles are slighlty lifted (but the rivets are still in place in the tile and are bent over). I think the problem is that the rivets are not bent close enough to the slates thus allowing lifting movement. Does anyone have experience of this - is it normal in a riveted set up? the roof doesnt seem to be leaking!

Unless the slates are rattling around on the rivets I don't think I'd worry too much. Depends on what counts as "slightly" in your book. 1/8" wouldn't bother me. 1/2" would, however. The rivets aren't meant to be under tension in normal conditions. Only when the wind gets up.

They are eternit tiles and the disc rivet goes through the hole at the bottom and should hold the tile down as they tend to curl

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back