Manstard Roof - Slipping tiles - Nails

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've got a really old cottage with a tiled mansard roof. The bottom slope (approx 80 degrees) has slipping tiles, and if you try and put them back it's like playing ker-plunk and they all start slipping. I'm firmly of the opinion that this has been bodged (~1980s) as not all the tiles are nailed (shouldn't they all be fixed at the near vertical angle!!?) and the gal. clout nails used are so short they don't even reach the batterns!

It's above a flat roof I've just replaced, so I'm ok with removeing and fixing them, but should I use copper or Ali nails??.....Sort of thought they need to be soft in case I have to lift them, otherwise I'd screw them in as the hammering casuses more to slip!!

TIA!

Sponsored Links
If you take it off and redo it you will be able to fit some kingspan or celotex.

round here (coastal) we use stainless. Roofers formerly used bronze.

Sponsored Links
I might well nurse the roof this winter and redo in the spring. Why would you use copper over Ali??.....Just longevity? I quite like the way I could tear off the tiles with the Ali clouts, would that be hard with copper ones?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back