Help - having a wall built - are they having a laugh?!

I worked in Germany in 70's and can remember that, although we did also joint up ourselves on some jobs.

Sponsored Links
You would only need to rake out and retrospectively point if you intended having a different colour to the bedding mortar, otherwise just strike and cut. No need to actively rake out at all.

Load of bolaks.

I can not believe what i have read in the above posts.

P.S this is 2013 not 1920.
Weather struck and cut is different to weather struck pointing. Weather struck is just done with the pointing trowel, whereas struck and cut sticks out out the bottom from the wall and is cut off with a frenchman along the straight edge.
Thats the way it was taught at Tech and probably still is to anyone doing an apprenticeship.
You will be telling me that Tuck pointing is done as the work proceeds next.

There is no justifiable reason that the o.p's wall pointing needs raking out and pointing at a later date. It can be weather stuck and cut without raking also.

You guys are trying to justify his actions by reading off some ancient historic building manual.

The guy is doing it wrong and sounds like he has either been beamed into our century from another time or needs a boot up the backside.

Sponsored Links
Any old skool former apprentice should remember that the tooling of mortar as work proceeds is 'jointing', and the raking out of the joints and the filling with mortar of a different type or colour, is 'pointing'. Today we all tend to call both operations pointing

So it depends whether a different mortar is required, and not the actual joint finish

In the context of the OP, what the brickie is doing for a garden wall is a waste of time.

There is no justifiable reason that the o.p's wall pointing needs raking out and pointing at a later date. It can be weather stuck and cut without raking also.

You guys are trying to justify his actions by reading off some ancient historic building manual.

The guy is doing it wrong and sounds like he has either been beamed into our century from another time or needs a boot up the backside.

I was only sayin like :LOL:
But I am of the same opinion as you on this one Nose

I worked in Germany in 70's and can remember that, although we did also joint up ourselves on some jobs.
They were still doing it that way in the 90's. You remember the 1/4 bond and snap headers mate ?
Remember that bond well. The headers were just put in at random and it took a while to work out how it worked. I think you could have no more than 5 headers next to each other, and no more than 5 perps going down in line.
Probably an easy bond to do after the 10th beer.

It's a garden wall, not a Grade I listed building.
The discussion has gone to the methods used to for struck and cut pointing.
The wall in question was probably done with the bucket handle anyway.
I doubt if many people have done new work and used weather cut and struck, as it's not used much these days apart from matching in on extensions. Anyone who's done it knows how time consuming it can be, so that's one of the reasons why it was left to the end of the job, as well as getting a consistent colour.

I doubt if many people have done new work and used weather cut and struck, as it's not used much these days apart from matching in on extensions. Anyone who's done it knows how time consuming it can be, so that's one of the reasons why it was left to the end of the job, as well as getting a consistent colour.
That's lovely info' Stu and irrelevant.

Noseall, if you have been doing cut and struck on a big wall on a hot day, you must have noticed it was difficult to push the mortar against some of the bed joints. I have done like that when replacing a few bricks, but not on a whole wall. Although pointing later do have the disadvantage that the new does not bind with the old so well, it still works OK if it's done properly.

Whilst i agree to your points regards a certain way of achieving a proud weatherproof pointed finish I can't help thinking that it is distracting and irrelevant to the o.p.

A garden wall of all things needs jointing as part of the ongoing build and not some retrospective and potentially vulnerable, fancy-dan-all-the-same-colour-weather-feather-struck-muck.

Whilst i agree to your points regards a certain way of achieving a proud weatherproof pointed finish I can't help thinking that it is distracting and irrelevant to the o.p..
I wouldn't worry too much about her noseall, she got fed of of this hours ago and cleared of to Ultimate Handyman.
Always interested to hear how different tradesman do a job though, as it's easy to get set in your ways.
Where's mikric gone, I wanted to know if he's worked out the German bond.

[quote="stuart45"
Where's mikric gone, I wanted to know if he's worked out the German bond.[/quote]
Yes I had it sussed mate , we worked on no more than 5 stretchers without a header and no more than 7 courses racking up on 1/4 bond without throwing back the other way, I used to love it as you hardly ever had to dry lay to set out to work bricks and windows etc could easily be set out, got fed up with cutting 3/4s though, my brick hammer still has the notches cut into the shaft for different brick sizes :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back