HELP: How can I identify feed cable for new LightSwitchCircu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I would like to add a flurecent tube above the kitchen cabinets. To do this I will be changing the single switch currently in the kitchen to a double to use for switch.

I have run the cable from above under the floorboards into the switch. I have also run another cable from the same point (upstairs) to where the tube will be installed. I know I need a junction box at that point. And I know it needs to be wired as per the instructions in:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/projectselectrical.htm

My problem is in identifying the FEED cable. I can see that there is another cable that is coming out of the existing light in the kitchen and goes to a 3-gang dimmer which has 4 cables running into it. I am assuming the fourth cable IS the FEED, as I can see the three cables from the dimmer going to the downlighters. I can see 4 cables going into the 3gang dimmer. So the cable I have identified MUST be the FEED.

Im I correct?

Please help.. I'm doing this today!!!!

Thanks all

Sponsored Links
You mention a three gang dimmer then you say you have changed the single switch for a double. I'm confused!

As long as you have an earth at your switch position, you need to get another switch wire from the new light position to the switch, and pick up a neutral and earth from the same circuit the switched live was taken from.

The reference section will help a great deal, with easy to follow diagrams.

Ok. I have a flurecent tube. It has three cables. One Is the switch the other two must be the circuit in and out.

I want to add a new light and a switch. The new light will be switched from the same point, by changing the single switch to a double. I have Changed this switch from a single to a double and have installed a new switch cable from this switch box to the connection point. At the connection point I now have two cables, the switch cable and the new light cable.

I need a SOURCE/FEED.

Can I (switch off the mains) cut what I think is the feed cable (it is 1.5mm) and stick a voltmeter onto it. If I can read 240v when I switch the mains back on then I can I use that cable as a feed for the new light?

If yes.. can I go from the feed straight into the junction box (with the switch and the light cable) or do I need to have 2 junction boxes as shown in the picture on this website:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/project...jpg Hope this is clearer.. Thanks

csol said:
My problem is in identifying the FEED cable. I can see that there is another cable that is coming out of the existing light in the kitchen and goes to a 3-gang dimmer which has 4 cables running into it. I am assuming the fourth cable IS the FEED, as I can see the three cables from the dimmer going to the downlighters. I can see 4 cables going into the 3gang dimmer. So the cable I have identified MUST be the FEED.
What is in the back of the 3gang dimmer box, are the blacks all jointed together? Red from the fourth wire looped across all 3 dimmers? If so then this fourth wire sounds like the feed wire.

Sponsored Links
Why can't you take a permanent live/neutral & earth from the existing fitting?

Then you run that to the junction box where you link up with the switched feed cable and the switchwire....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back