Help identifying and sourcing replacement kitchen tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Here is a picture of my kitchen tap.
01eb745be11ec8dbd60d8b88ba85e8c64630012134.jpg

My kitchen tap is leaking inside the base here.
018ebea5ee3ce3abab636ab2c1f56442d596b9c335 - Copy.jpg

There are no moving parts here. It must have a tiny hole/split inside that's allowing water to dribble slowly out and then it runs over the base of the tap and on to the sink. I've tried putting superglue around this edge and the tap stops leaking for a week or two and then starts again (presumably the heating/cooling of the tap is breaking the glue up).

So, I would like to replace the tap BUT the base is a pig to get off as there's no room to get in behind the sink and so ideally I would like either an exact replacement (then I could just change the broken bit of the tap and leave the base) OR an equivalent tap that will fit this base.

Here's the base that I would like to remain the hole is 18.3mm inside diameter.....

IMG_0318.JPG

The tap bit that needs replacing is the bendy pipe bit (probably a technical term for that!). It has a diameter of 18mm.

IMG_0320.JPG

I had a Google for a replacement and there's loads of these type of taps but I couldn't find anywhere listing the fitting size so wasn't sure if they would be suitable replacements?

So... is 18mm just a standard and I can buy any tap of this type and it will fit ??

Or does anyone know where I can get an exact replacement.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Cheers

John :)

Sponsored Links
Excellent pics (y) and description - sounds like you do have a micro hole in the brass because the superglue stops it. You may have a b'stard of a job getting another complete spout BUT if you can identify where the pinhole is - maybe pump air into the thing and hold it underwater - like a bike tube repair- Then drill out the pinhole to a size where you can get some Araldite ( 2 part epoxy resin ) into the hole and seal it.

Excellent pics (y) and description - sounds like you do have a micro hole in the brass because the superglue stops it. You may have a b'stard of a job getting another complete spout BUT if you can identify where the pinhole is - maybe pump air into the thing and hold it underwater - like a bike tube repair- Then drill out the pinhole to a size where you can get some Araldite ( 2 part epoxy resin ) into the hole and seal it.

That's a brilliant idea! Not sure how I'll pump air into. Maybe plug the one end and blow down the other? Definitely worth a go although I'll wait to see if anyone can identify that tap etc first just in case drilling it knackers it?

Thanks again for your help :)

Yup, plug one end and on the other use a bit of wheelbarrow inner tube with the valve in it - cut the tube and wrap it over the metal - secure with a jubilee clip - pump it up with bike pump ( I would use the electric pump that came with my new car instead of a spare wheel ! FFS ) Only cuz I can get an old tube free from a farmer I know ;)

Sponsored Links
Or it could just be worn O rings?
Definitely not worn O rings. The leak is coming from where I've indicated in the pic. The glue trick does work but is only a temporary solution that's how I know it's not the O rings (plus I've changed the O rings before I realised that is was the body of the tap failing).

Nige, thanks for the tip. I'm just nervous drilling the tap out in case the araldite doesn't fix it then I'm right up the wotsit without a wotsit....

Would love to get a new tap if possible (equivalent or exact match)

Cheers :)

Have you tried putting your finger over the end and blowing into it to prove there's a hole/split ? 9 times out of 10 its the orings letting by. I know you said you've changed them before but swivel tap orings take a hammering.

Hi gigz,
Definitely not o-rings. Glued bottom edge and it cured it temporarily.

oilboffin, thanks for that. Great idea. :)

Cheers slippyr4 :)

Can anyone confirm whether an 18mm diameter is standard for these type of taps or not? Are they all different?

Thanks

You really need to replace the whole tap as just replacing the top section prob wont work as it all wares together, also if you replace the o, rings but not the plastic locator it will still leak as that wares as well, its job is to keep it from moving from side to side thus let ting water past the o,rings.
Replaced a few of these over the years they are normally foreign makes, or kitchen manufactures own brand and aftermarket standard o. rings won,t fit.

Hope this helps Andy.

Kinhell oily boy you,ve answered quite nicely or is it just me you don,t like i,m not into fishing either, if you don,t replace the plastic collar you can replace as many o,rings as you like it will still leak.
Andy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back