Help identifying make / model of bath trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can someone help me identify the make and model of bath trap that has been fitted in the property I've just moved into. I've attached a few photo's. It is a low profile thing that has 2 flexible tubes running up the top of the bath and also a cable running up to a knob on top of bath by taps. The bath / shower is draining slowly. Many Thanks
P1000880.JPG
P1000881.JPG
P1000882.JPG
P1000884.JPG

Sponsored Links
Ok. I will be the first to admit that I have never seen anything like that (I can sense everyone googling it:D).

I'm not surprised that the bath is draining slowly with that trap. I want to suggest changing it for a standard trap and extending the waste pipe but I can't work out where the overflow is. Is it on the top of the bath? Perhaps I am just looking at it completely wrong.

Hi squeaky, thanks for the reply, I was guessing it has people stumped :( Unfortunately there are no identifying marks on what I can see.

From what I can see there is no overflow. I think this trap / device is some sort of zero water thing with a diaphragm.

Sottini trap, part of Ideal Standard. Absolute PITA to assemble and work in a strange way. Overflow is built into the plughole and pipes carry water up and out to waste and drain outlet is activated by magnet if I remember right through same plughole.
The two white pipes that rise up to where the taps are is the overflow. Its effectively an upside down u-pipe.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is it a whirlpool system can you post a picture of the bath from the top.
It looks very similar to the type of waste that are fitted to Villeroy and Boch baths.

An Ideal Standard waste it is :) Seems it's part of their water saving low level bath range. I've found the attached image on a 'concept' install instruction guide.
IWS.PNG

Is there a new direct replacement spare part for this, that operates using the same concept without the need for an overflow outlet. I guess I'm stuck with that option?

If it helps anyone else I finally got round to removing this trap to take a look see what was the problem. As cozzmic said the plug is controlled by a strong magnet which repels the plug when it is positioned directly under the plug by means of a lever controlled in turn by the cable and dial. The main issue was / is that it becomes very stiff to turn the control dial at the point where the magnet positions under the plug. It was because of this that I did not want to force the control dial to the point where it pops up the plug. Now I know how it works I know that this is what I have to do because it is still stiff even after taking it apart and cleaning it all out. Thanks again - at least I didn't have to buy a new one which I was not looking forward to at £127 a pop! I was staggered too that it did not leak when I put it back :)

Sorry to dig up an old thread....but did you ever get to the bottom of why it kept draining and letting the water out of the bath?

Ive changed the plunger bit to no avali and still slowly drains

What an over complicated piece of crap thats been discontinued by ideal standard

Hi Sabato, that's what forums are for. The problem I had was mainly slow draining whilst showering when the plunger / plug was open, not when it was closed. Once I realised how the thing operated and that the trap was clean and clear I basically just had to put up with the rather slow drain rate. I keep a sink plunger in the bath room and make sure I give it a few plunges every few weeks. I don't bother putting the decorative chrome cover plate back and that way I can easily push the plunger / plug down if needs be when using the bath, this isn't normally required the gravity alone is enough.

Hi
Is this not a heat exchanger connected to the bath waste? Why does the waste have those two pipes coming out?

1659705065044.png

Nope its part of the waste. If you believe me the 2 pipes on the right are to do with the overflow.
Can't quite remember how it works but passes through the trap below the magnetic stopper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back