Help, I'm cold.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I don't know much about central heating but ours has stopped working tonight.

It is an old fashioned system with a cylinder. There is a room stat, a stat on the boiler, and a cylinder stat.

I've turned all to the max to check it is not simply this. The pump runs for when I turn the stat up on the cylinder but it seems to only be pumping cold water as the pipes are cold each side.

I'll post a pic of the boiler soon, there is no indication whether the pilot light is running, but I've pressed the ignition button, which didnt have the satisfying click I was hoping for.

What should I do?

Many thanks.

Rob

Sponsored Links
What should I do?

drink plenty then you won't feel the cold
let-s-party-084.gif

Sponsored Links
Do you have the user instructions for the boiler?

Well, there's more to it than pressing the ignition button, because the gas valve will shut off the supply to the pilot if the heat from the flame isn't detected.

Is there a larger button near the ignition button that you press?
If so, hold this in and press the ignition until the pilot lights, then keep holding the button for another 30 seconds.

Turn the boiler thermostat to zero, or off, or minimum while you do this, then, if the pilot stays on, turn it back up again.

I'll give that a go.
Well, I'm not familiar with that boiler, but the only thing in that photo that looks like it might do what you need is that yellow cover with a concave surface.

Is it a cover for a button, or does it move when you press it? If the latter, can you hear a gentle hiss of gas?

It's a honeywell gas valve, 4700 C I think. Anyway to light the pilot push in and hold the yellow/green knob and push the igniter until it lights. Then hold in for 15-30 secs and release. If it goes out again there is a problem with the thermocouple, gas valve or pilot.

To extinguish the pilot push the button to the left and release.

Mike

Well the pilot light is on. I took the cover off and can see the blue glow.

What should I be looking for now we know the pilot light is on?

img0005vn6.jpg

Assuming that you're getting a live feed to the boiler you're now looking at faulty gas valve or boiler stat. Replacing the stat will require removing the combustion chamber cover and gas valve replacement means breaking into the gas line so it's time to call in a registered installer.

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back