Help! I'm losing my curves (in the ceiling)!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really sorry but had to remove for legal reasons. (I can almost hear those of you following the thread before saying 'now there's a surprise!')

Thanks so much for all your help everyone...I'll keep you posted.

Sponsored Links
I like them as well ;) & it sounds like a load of old boll ocks to me; I can’t see what condition the overall ceiling is in but what I can see looks OK; do you know if it’s a lath or plaster board celing? If it’s in reasonable condition (or even if it aint), it’s recoverable but it depends on what you asked for & what he’s quoted for!

So what’s he done, battened out & installed a new PB false ceiling? He’s either being a lazy brastard or hasn’t a clue how to renovate the existing ceiling. Nothing is irrecoverable, it just might cost you more but if he’s a board & skim man, you’ve no chance & may be better off with someone else.

With Richard on this one - sounds like a bit of waffle to me.

The dropped ceiling he has put in , what's that fixed to? :rolleyes:

He sounds like a boarder and skimmer which any monkey can do with a bit of practice. If he can't manage it, tell him that you'll get a plasterer in to do the job properly and knock the price off his fees.

Sponsored Links
The guy who is doing your work has not got a clue!!!! The curve on your ceiling can be reprocated with mesh or "cut" plasterboard or the imagination of a good plasterer, who is used to renovation work and renewing tradition curves and idiosynchrosies of old properties.So tell him what you want and if he cant do it you will get someone who can...The customer " is " always right, its the "bodger" that they employ who is wrong!!!

Sorry about the rant but I believe if you want anything done to your way or back to how it was then it is always possible to have it done...Good Luck ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys. In response to your question Richard C, it's definitely a lath ceiling.

[Really sorry but had to remove for legal reasons, but I've left enough for you to get the gist....]

Taking him at his word about original ceiling being too unstable -

either he's fixed to it for his dropped ceiling ie fixed to something unstable

or he's spanned across it from wall to wall with no vertical fixings in middle

either way he's , by his own admission, ignored a ceiling which will fall down?

Needing to take off a roof to sort out a ceiling. Anyone else here takes the tiles off before they start tacking the boards off?

Don't like it I'm afraid.

Needing to take off a roof to sort out a ceiling. Anyone else here takes the tiles off before they start tacking the boards off?
Must admit, I do it all the time - had to reboard and skim my utility room a couple of years ago in our cellar, so up with the scaffolding it was and off with the slates. Only set me back about 5K ;)

Apart from anything, I'm not overly keen on a 2by2 timber lattice.

any chance of more pics of the ceiling to see the condition of it? i take it there was a wall that had been taken out in the pic? looks like you can just fill that gap and skim if the ceilings in good nick, a lot of builders cant do a lot of things espec plaster i had one round to talk about some building work, he couldent tile lay bricks do any sort of carpentry OR PLASTER, i said well what can you do yourself without subbing the work out? he said im a sparky and hes not even part p so hes well and truly stuffed, if that ceilings in good nick and he cant do it ill come and do it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back