1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Help in choosing an outside security light/movement sensor

Discussion in 'Electrics UK' started by db3745, 9 Feb 2015.

1. db3745

db3745

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've had a light with sensor above the back door for many years now, but the sensor has more or less had it. Partly because I guess of what was available at the time the light is very dim, and I certainly want it brighter. I've got about 25 metres of back garden, but I recognise that I don't want to floodlight the area like a football pitch and upset the neighbours.

Just a reliable security light that will give reasonable illumination 180 round and motion sensor. My daughter's been looking at options and products but we've seen so many contradictory reviews that it's difficult to make a decision.

She's come to thinking that LED 80W or 100W would be the best fit? Anyone's thoughts and suggested products would be brilliant. Would separate light and sensor be best in case of sensor failure meaning a new light too?

The one I'm replacing has lasted 10 years so I'd rather pay a bit more for a reliable product. Recommendations very very welcome.

Thanks.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. bernardgreen

bernardgreen

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Can you even get a 100 watt LED? One or two 10 watt or 20 watt LED floodlights would surely be enough.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. 333rocky333

333rocky333

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    ive not been too impressed with the built in sensors on the led fittings and there adjustibility is limited, a remote sensor means you can opt for a better quality sensor which has a wider range and more movement to suit your needs
    As said steinel is a good brand

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. dpm_dpmartin

dpm_dpmartin

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I've had good experiences with the Mr. Beams products. Not wired-up, so may not be what you want, but a good light / sensor combo in a neat little package.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. PrenticeBoyofDerry

PrenticeBoyofDerry

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. winston1

winston1

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    The words "eco" and "halogen tubes" do not deserve to be in the same sentence.

No filament type lamp is economical.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

10. Sponsored Links