Help installing a triple light plate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have recently bought a triple light plate from Homebase, tried to install it as per instructions but when I took down the old light fitting down (just a standard light bulb fitting) there were 3 cables two old and one new connected to the fitting. I think the old cable controls the old light switch. The new light switch has a new cable.

I have wired the triple light plate, but the lights just stay on constantly.The only way I can control the light is by unscrewing the bulbs. I have tried so many combinations, one makes the light circuit just cut out.

Can anyone give me any advice as to where the wires should go, I have attached some pictures.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

5.jpg
7.jpg

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need a 4 way terminal block instead of the 2 way

You mention OLD switch. Can you explain more, is this still in use ? Was the new switch did it control the previous lamp.

Cables from the ceiling

2 off red and black
1 off brown and blue

It may be that one cable brings power ( Live and neutral and earth ) to this lamp and another takes power on to the next lamp in the next room with the third cable taking the live to the switch and bringing switched live back to the lamp.

If the cable at the switch is also brown and blue then this is what to do at the ceiling

[1] Two reds and the brown into one terminal, this is permanent live.

[2] the two blacks into another teminal and the blues from the lamps into this. This is the neutral

[3] the blue from the cable into the third terminal with the browns from the lamps. This is the switched live from the switch. The blue should have a brown ( or red sleeve added to show it is switched live )

[4] and most important for safety all the green yellow earth wires into the fourth terminal

Was the 'old' switch completely removed along with the cable? I'm worried that if the second red/black T&E might not be the feed to the next fixture but the cable to the 'old' switch.

Some clarification would be good :) If you're sure the cable for the old switch is gone then follow bernardgreen's advice

The cable for the old switch is still coming out of the ceiling.

The old switch is still live, with an electrical block on the wires and a plate covering the old light switch. This is just in case we wanted to switch the door back (light switch used to be behind the door), then the wiring is still present.

Sponsored Links
I assume you know for certain which is the cable to the old switch. You should NOT connect it at the lamp.

If you want to fit an outdoor light at a later date you will need to take a cable ( live neutral and earth ) to the new light from the light you are working on now. Then a cable from the new light to the switch ( you MAY be able to use the old cable for this but better to use new cable )

OK, so do I still need a 4 way terminal? Do I just follow the instructions above, minus the cable to the old light switch?
Thanks your help

OK, so do I still need a 4 way terminal? Do I just follow the instructions above, minus the cable to the old light switch?
Thanks your help

Yes you still need a four way ( live, switched live, neutral and earth ).

EDITED
If you are 100% that the old cable in the ceiling is the one to the old switch then you can ignore it but put those three wires into a separate three way block just in case.

Connect the new light and test it. If all other lights work then the old cable is redundant. If some other lights do not work then the old cable is almost certainly the feed to other lights.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back