Help installing lights - wattage too high?

Have you taken voltage measurements ?
Tried, but the multimeter we got just shows 0 for some reason - power is definitely on and wall switch on. Multimeter is set up correctly according to the instructions and tutorials we watched! Not sure if it is defective - it was only cheap from Amazon. Tried it on a battery in DC mode - worked fine. Tried it in a plug socket - showed -0. Tried it on the wires, also -0.

Sponsored Links
Tried, but the multimeter we got just shows 0 for some reason - power is definitely on and wall switch on. Multimeter is set up correctly according to the instructions and tutorials we watched! Not sure if it is defective - it was only cheap from Amazon. Tried it on a battery in DC mode - worked fine. Tried it in a plug socket - showed -0. Tried it on the wires, also -0.

That would suggest to me - operator error, you are not making metal to metal contact with the probes.

What setting is your meter on ,and what are you touching with each probe when taking readings ?

Sponsored Links
That would suggest to me - operator error, you are not making metal to metal contact with the probes.
We thought that might be the problem so we disconnected the block and tested it straight on the copper of the wires, still -0.

What setting is your meter on ,and what are you touching with each probe when taking readings ?
Don't have a picture of our multimeter as I have put it away now. Touching the copper of the wires coming out of the wall.

The same as in this pic:

81VzSbs1piL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Don't have a picture of our multimeter as I have put it away now. Touching the copper of the wires coming out of the wall.

The same as in this pic:

That pic is set as you would need to set it, for this use - just make sure 'HOLD' is not pressed, when you take the measurements.

Need to test it on a known working plug - when you put the probes into the live and neutral on a plug socket, after pushing in the earth to lift the cover from the live /neutrual - the probes may not actually touch the metal (as previously mentioned ) , they need to be on a slight angle to make contact

Need to test it on a known working plug - when you put the probes into the live and neutral on a plug socket, after pushing in the earth to lift the cover from the live /neutrual - the probes may not actually touch the metal (as previously mentioned ) , they need to be on a slight angle to make contact
Just double checked on a plug socket which I know works - making sure they were touching the metal. Still nothing. I think we will call an electrician!

Glass fuse blown in multimeter ?
Perhaps open it up and check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back