Bathroom Light Recommendations - LED equivalent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Currently just have one light in the bathroom ceiling, a shallow dome with 13W mini fluorescent bulb. The room is 3.65m x2.30m. The ceiling is relatively low at 2.15m. We want the room brighter, and I think the best solution is going to two lights rather than just one brighter one. Maybe even two, each with the same output as the existing.
So my two questions are firstly how to compare specifications, what sort of lumens of lux am I looking for in an LED light to match the output from a 13W fluorescent. The exact bulb (copied from the order when I replaced it is "BIAX GE F13DBX/865/2p 13W daylight 6500k 2 pin").
The other question is to ask for recommendations for actual products, obviously they need to suitable for a bathroom. I'd prefer a plain design just a simple shallow dome or drum shape. Would prefer decent products as if one dies it's not like just swapping a bulb.

Thanks, Tony S

Sponsored Links
Those fluorescent lamps are about 900 lumens, however that only applies when they are new, and when they have reached full brightness which is typically a few minutes after being switched on.
At switch on they will be significantly less.
6500K daylight is an incredibly harsh light at the blue end of the spectrum. Is that really what you want indoors?

For replacements, pretty much any of the LED bulkhead fittings would be far better than what you have,
one example: https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/5064211-dome-12w-16w-led-tri-colour-bulkhead-white
that one can be switched to different colour temperatures.

6500K daylight is an incredibly harsh light at the blue end of the spectrum. Is that really what you want indoors?

I was surprised myself when I looked at the receipt, it doesn't look that harsh. I'd need to look at the actual bulb to confirm. However you're right I probably wouldn't choose that.

Thanks for the recommendation, LED lights have obviously come on if they are now switchable between colours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back