Help...is this asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need some advice determining if I have uncovered asbestos in my house.
Yesterday while ripping off some old skirting, I came across what looks like plasterboard which has some kind of material mixed in with it. Now my house was build in the 60's and it definitely has a garage roof made from asbestos cement. However, I'm not sure what else might be made from asbestos, hence my concern over the mysterious board that was uncovered.
This board creates a "sort of box" in the smallest room on the 1st floor which covers the slope of the ceiling as you walk up the stairs.
The board has the word Gyproc on it. I've tried Google'ing this but can't get a definite answer.
I've attached some images of the board.

View media item 72162 View media item 72163 View media item 72164 View media item 72165
I would appreciate any assistance.

Ham

Sponsored Links
Looks like some british gypsum plasterboard and the board finish has some jute scrim in it reinforcing a joint. I would not be worried about that one bit.

Agree with Blagard. Standard plaster board with scrim tape to reinforce a joint. Nothing to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Yeah it's not asbestos, asbestos cement board is not very likely to be found in residential because of the cost when it was manufactured, or so I'm told.

Even if it was it would most likely contain crysotile which is the most non-lethal type, they still manufacture board with it in places like India

Any asbestos has potential to cause disease so avoid it, no matter which type.

They do still produce in lots of countries but that doesn't make it worth playing with - our standards, life expectancy and general health are higher in the UK for a good reason.

The photos you've given don't look like asbestos but if in doubt, assume it is asbestos and be careful with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back