Help! Kitchen circuit not working and earth wire showing as live...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I removed a light in the utility room which has a lot of wires and the reds were connected in a nylon block, all others connected to the light but unfortunately I didn't take a picture and cannot remember which wires went where...

I have tried connecting all 3 black wires in a wago along with the blue and brown in a separate wago but this hasn't helped also two of the earth cables are showing as live when tested with a screwdriver which illuminates but I have absolutely no idea why?

Any help would be great, have attached a picture showing the cabling

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_180954.jpg
    IMG_20210127_180954.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 219
Sponsored Links
Some more pictures showing wires separated out

Attachments

• IMG_20210127_185944.jpg
    IMG_20210127_185944.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20210127_185940.jpg
    IMG_20210127_185940.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 172
Sponsored Links
Does the far left cable have two brown insulated conductors ,one blue, and no bare copper earth conductor ??

Terryplumb yes no earth in that far left cable

Sunray none of them had any colour sleeving

Andyprk the switch had one red, one black and one earth cable

The room used to be a bathroom so the switch was a pullcoard

Have you got enough terminal blocks ,or connector blocks to do this....
Put all three reds into one connector block.
Put all three earth conductors together in a second terminal block.
Put the three blacks in 3 seperate terminal blocks ,so they are not touching each other in any way.
The cable that has two brown and one blue, put each one of them into seperate connector blocks ,so they are not in contact with each other.
So you need 8 seperate terminal blocks.

Yes I should be able to do this, before I do can I ask what your thinking is ? Will it complete the circuit and stop the earth becoming live?

Neon screwdrivers are next to useless ,you can probably make yours light up if you run it on your sleeve.
By the way have you blown any fuses or tripped any breakers whilst working on these wires ?
You obviously need to turn mains power off to do as I told you .

No fuses have been blown but the RCD doesn't have RCBO for the lights. Yes of course mains will be off when working on any electrics

What I have told you to do is only the first step to firstly terminate the conductors ,seperate them ,and next will be to identify which are neutrals and which is switched live.

Okay thanks very much I'm going to have a go at this tomorrow in daylight, don't fancy risking anything tonight in the dark... Will let you know how I get on tomorrow

Hi Terry I have done what you asked and now the black wire on the far right is showing as live along with the 3 red wires

Attachments

• IMG_20210128_160355.jpg
    IMG_20210128_160355.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 132
Before Terry comes along to tell you what to do next, what is that cable with the browns and blue?

It appears to consist of two brown wires, one blue, and no earth.

Have I got that right?

If you operate the switch , is that black wire live when switch is in "on" position ,and not live when switch is in " off" position ? So turning the switch on and off ,that black wire would be live/not live . If so that is the switched live .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back