HELP!! (kitchen tap heads stuck)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there - I really don't know if i'm in the right place or not - my apologies if not. I've just moved house and am about to start some of the jobs that need doing. As with anything in my life, nothing is straight forward. I want to change the washers on the kitchen taps - they are mixer taps with metal handles. I assumed just removing the caps from the tops would reveal the usual phillips screw underneath - however it doesn't. Ive posted a couple of photos to show what it's like - there are no alternative screws on the handles. Anybody any idea how the handles come off? Any help you can give would really be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried just pulling the handles off? They may be a bit stiff and need "encouragement" ;)

Thanks for replying - i'm due to give it a go tomorrow when the wife and child are away and i can switch the water off. That was going to be my next attempt - i tried pulling them the other night but didn't want to use too much strain in case it all went wrong, but if you think that might be the way, i'll opt for the Brute Force and Ignorance method like you suggest.

Thanks again.

will the plastic part with the coloured ring prise out?

if you damage the old tops, you can get "Tap Revivers" which include a new valve and a new knob in DIY sheds and plumbers merchannts, IIRC they cost about £12 a pair. Use PTFE tape when screwing the parts back into the tap body.

Sponsored Links
have they? even the old ones in his pic?

The "revivers" will be new!! :p

To remove head, undo the screw about 3 turns but leave it in.
Pour boiling water over the tap head
Apply strong upward force to tap head, somehow.
Hit the screw, thus knocking the tap body downwards That usually loosens them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back