Help! Kitchen Water Leak.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed last night some water coming up from below the tiles in my ‘galley kitchen.’

I checked under the work surface area, and most of the water appeared to be under the washing machine, however it has not been used for a week.

The machine is new and fitted around three months ago. Does the fact that I’ve not used it recently, rule it out?

I have possible sources of the leak in mind:

1) The washing machine.
2) The sink, though a quick inspection under the sink did not reveal anything obvious.
3) Possibly a concealed water pipe in the wall behind sink/washing machine has sprung a leak.

I’d really appreciate here as I want to minimise the damage to my kitchen.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Leaking washing machine hose, check either end.

Andy

Hi Andy. Thanks for the reply. Would the machine hose leak, even though the machine has not been on for a week?

I only noticed the leak for first time last night. No idea how long it’s been dripping for.

I have add it’s in an area close to the water supply pipes.

Sponsored Links
Yes it would leak, because the machine takes water from a feed which is live. Think about a dripping tap,it would still drip even if not used, because there is a constant water supply to it. Hope this makes sense?

Pull the machine out and check all pipework.

Andy

I’d like to pull the washing machine out but can’t. It weighs a ton and needs 2 people unfortunately. On saying that since I bought the machine only 3 months ago, I will probably call the installers and say ‘there is water leakage under the machine can you please look at it.’ They may come out for free, and I can then either identify the machine as the source of the problem or exclude it. From past experience, the initial source of a leak isn’t always obvious.

Yes.

There will be water pressure all the way to the machine -ie both ends of the washing machine hose could leak

(undertrained beat me to it!)

But you got the thanks, go figure

Spray some wd40 or polish under the machine where the feet touch the floor, then open the door and slightly lift and pull. It should slide out.

Andy

If it’s new, it shouldn’t weigh that much. Try what hertsdrainage said or try some washing up liquid on the floor in front of it wiped around with a cloth.

Thanks for the various replies. Tried to pull machine out, but very heavy.

I knocked on my neighbours door, and asked if they could detect any leaks in their kitchen situated above mine. The answer was no. Strangely, after turning my water supply back and using the kitchen sink, the leak has dried up. This is very odd. Does the fact that the leak has subsided after turning the water supply back on, help narrow things down?

No. Unless you spilled some water on the floor.

Andy

I am increasingly confident the water was released from the washing machine, even though it’s not been used recently. The machine is sitting on a block of Formica. Using a torch I could see water on the top of the Formica - there is only one place it could have come from I.e. the washing machine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back