Help!! Leaky conservatory - no cavty trays installed :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys hope you can help.
We had a conservatory installed 4yrs ago and have had issues with leaks. The company have been called out on numerous occasions; resealed the lead flashing, filled in holes above and around the con.

On the final visit they said it was because there were no cavity trays installed and had they asked us at the time if we wanted them we'd have said no as it would have added £2K to the price - nice to have been asked.

i've been in touch with trading standards. The company have gone bust and are now trading under a new name so don'thold out any hope of getting them back.

Ive read that instead of adding cavity trays, sealant can be applied to the exterior wall and will resolve the issue but how much of an area above the conservatory will need to be painted??

The paint we had applied 5yrs ago was supposed to prevent damp but they did a botch job and again are another company gone bust and trading under a new name so we cant call them back either so their 15yr gguarantee is useless :(

Sponsored Links
If damp is penetrating the inside of the wall because its seeping into the cavity above the conservatory roof then you should insert a tray. How can you go to Trading Standards chastising the Conservatory Clowns when you want to do a bodge now?

Because i dont have £2k and read that applying sealant above, works just as well - no need to be so bloody rude!

Did you apply the paint all the way upto house roof level? Cos if not what stops the water getting into the cavity at a higher level..

In the end its just a conservatory.. its not an extension.. they arent ment to be 100% waterproof.. sorry they are just fancy greenhouses cellotaped to the house..

Sponsored Links
Your all really helpful lovely people on here aren't you? I haven't applied anything yet, I was hoping someone would offer me some useful advice on how much of an area would be needed or advise me that maybe £2k for cavity trays was way off the mark and i was looking at a lot less. Conservatories aren't suppose to be 100% waterproof - what a ridiculous comment to make!

Actually were quite a helpful bunch when we want to be! :p

I haven't applied anything yet
although
The paint we had applied 5yrs ago
:confused:

I've read that instead of adding cavity trays sealant applied to the exterior wall will resolve the issue but how much of an area above the conservatory will need to be painted?
What is this sealant to which you refer and how do you intend applying it?

Other questions

Where exactly is it leaking?

How big is the conservatory or how many metres of cavity tray would need inserting?

Have you actually got any up-to-date quotes or does the figure of £2K come from your original fitter?

How about a photo?

The quality of your original question will be relative to the answers you receive.

The paint applied 5yrs ago was to the entire house for decorative purposes, i refer to it as a botch job as it obviously isnt preventing water ingress. The sealant i was looking at was something like this:

http://www.toolmix.com/browse/product.asp?pid=105673&s52cnc=FROOGLE-UK&s52r=FROOGLEUK

The length of the conservatory is 3.5m and the water is gathering and leaking where the old window was removed, although damp is evident all along the top of the conservatory.

I haven't any other quotes other than what they said when they last visited. One site i visited said £65 per metre another said to expect £400-£1000 as its not a job you will get builders wanting to do :(

Pictures:
IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

IMG_0208.jpg

I would appear someone has accidently removed the external doors from the opening to the original house and accidently wall papered the exterior wall..

Might be better off building a proper extension if thats what your looking for..

IMHO: the root cause seems to be that no custom PVC flashing pieces were used as "underflashing" below the cap flashing that goes into the bed joint.Sometimes all the head flashing is supplied in PVC to match the frames.
2. all damp in pics appears inside the conservatory. Therefore stay away from cavity trays.

3. Paint is not meant to be a waterproofer, the wall must breathe. Therefore stay away from waterproofers.

4. What kind of fall - how steep - does the roof have?

5. A bead of mastic has been used as a - probably - remedial repair where the under-flashing meets the PVC rail. Weather expansion and contraction will pull them apart. The flashing in general doesn't look sound.

thank you very much for your useful reply!! Is this something that can be easily rectified?? The roof angle slopes approx 20degrees and the bottom end is roughly 8-10 inches lower that the top. I did question whether it was the flashing and pointed out that it should have maybe been fitted into the brick instead of on top but was told that it was well sealed and not the problem :(

1. If the conservatory is accessible from both sides, a working platform can be spanned across to work off.

2. Given the above, then remove all flashings and examine v. carefully for whats what. Do this now in the summer.

3. Cap flashing should be chased into the bed joint about 3/4" to 1 1/2" wedged and pointed up.

4. The mfrs. of the conservatory might have the correct head flashings available.

5. I doubt it given the pics. but could condensation have any part to play here?

There isn't anything behind the flashing, they didnt cut into the brickwork at all!! I pointed this out to them when they last came round, I showed them my neighbours porch and told them the flashing should have been done the same but they said no the water is not water getting in there - it is well sealed with sealant and that i would need cavity trays fitted instead. Its deffo not condensation, it pours in from the centre of the arch when it pours it down but only when the wind is blowing a certain direction which thankfully isnt often (3-4 times a year) - often enough though!!

Whilst the flashing is close to useless if its not chased into the mortar joint the fact that you have water pouring in the centre of the reveal would to me strongly imply a cavity tray is needed.

if the water simply came down the inside of the roof or just cascaded down the whole wall then the flashing would seem to blame but the fact that it comes in the centre of the arch is very telling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back