Help! Lining paper seams lifting, even after re-pasting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Advice needed! I've put up lining paper, 1200 grade (heavier than I'd normally use), and left it to soak for 10 mins before hanging. But the seams are lifting in places. I've woked paste underneath again but they just lift again. Is there anything I can do to salvage it, eg like try to stick them down with maybe pva or a border adhesive, or is it unlikely to mend and best to strip it all off and start again? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
It takes a fair amount of practice to get hanging lining paper correctly. If it's lifting on the edges, it could be a number of things. Was the wall sized before putting the paper up? Was the sheet pushed up against another sheet slightly, causing it to lift? Was a small air bubble trapped under there?

Where I have used lining paper, I sized the wall beforehand, let the paper soak for 10 mins. (1400 grade) and refrained from pulling, stretching or pushing the paper. I did have a few small (1-2mm) gaps between sheets, but a light filler (such as Red Devil or Polyfilla One Fill) smoothed over the gap made them totally unnoticeable. I didn't even need to sand it down after.

In my opinion, it'd be better to remove and replace especially as repeated attempts to stick it down have failed.

Thanks cwhaley. I did that this morning when I noticed that each time I re-pasted a part even more of it lifted, so thought that when I painted over it all the paint might lift new areas. I'll use a stronger paste for the next lot, and a lighter grade paper that I'm more used to.
Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back