help me modify a Uk Mains Plug In Socket Timer Switch clock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

Please help

I plan on buying a Uk Mains Plug In Socket Timer Switch Clock, one which would allow me to switch on and off a device like a lamp that is plugged into the socket up to 24 times during a 24 hour period. Now I don't actually want to switch on and off a lamp, that was just for an example. What I want to do is strip the device down and just get to the components that are soldered to the PCB. Then the area where you connect your lamp power plug I want to instead plug in a battery operated pair of red LED's. that will switch on and off 24 times within a 24 hour period. Is this possible to do?

Sponsored Links
Unlikely I would have thought. The timers I have seen dismantled, won't work once they are out of the housing, as the housing holds all of the components in place and provides electrical insulation. I can't say I've seen one with a PCB either.

Also they don't have a potential free contact, it's connected directly to the mains.

However, I have a couple of suggestions for you.

1. Keep the timer in tact and plug in a "wall wart" type transformer built into moulded plug that will give the voltage required for your LED's. You might have one from an old mobile phone or electronic device that may be suitable.

2. Keep the timer in tact and plug in a mains operated relay to give you a potential free contact for your LED's

Hi stem,

Many thanks for your reply

The problem with your suggestions is the fact that the overall device will end up being quite big. I am looking to keep the device at no more than a length and width of 7.5cm and thickness of less than 1CM including a pair of RED LED's. So you see it needs to be very portable. And there must be no 3 pin ac mains connections on the device, they need to be removed and replaced with just 2 AA battery holders that are connected to the LED's and to the rest of the circuit. If possible. Either there is a workaround or I need to build this device from the ground up.

The digital ones, must be on a pcb, you can buy packs of 2 for about £5.95

Sponsored Links
second option

a low-voltage timer is what you need to built. there is probably an IC you can get. Have you tried Rapid?

Many thanks for the replies

JohnD, I have not yet tried rapid electronics as I don't know where to begin

What is the IC I would need, if possible I don't want to use a programmable IC.

You want an led switched on/off every hour?

A 555 could probably do that.

How long do you want the off period and how long do you want the on period?

there are programs that will calculate the values for you.

Explain a bit more about what your wanting, how it needs to work, what its used for.
THe more you let us know the better we can advise as there are all sorts of IC's available. (555 being cheap & easy).

Maplin may do a kit for what you want.

You want an led switched on/off every hour?

A 555 could probably do that.

How long do you want the off period and how long do you want the on period?

there are programs that will calculate the values for you.

Explain a bit more about what your wanting, how it needs to work, what its used for.
THe more you let us know the better we can advise as there are all sorts of IC's available. (555 being cheap & easy).

Maplin may do a kit for what you want.

Okay what I need is to make a device which will every 60-90 minutes light up 2 red LED's at the same time, and I would like to be able to choose how long they blink from 1-300 seconds (1 second to 5 minutes). Then I would like to be able to choose the blinking speeds of the LED.

So talking about the whole circuit, I would need a on switch, that simply switches the device on and I want it to go into sleep mode where the device stays in standby for about 90 minutes first (or I would want to choose how long it stays in standby from say 60-90 minutes). Then every 60-90 minutes switch on the 2 LED's for say 90 seconds and then switch off the LED's and then repeat again 60-90 minutes later and keep repeating this pattern through a 24 hour period.

If possible I would like to make this circuit using a button cell battery like the cr2032 watch batteries.

Is this all possible with a 555 timer IC?

EDIT: I found some website in the UK which has tutorials on building this thing, there tutorials are based on 12 volts but I am sure it shouldn't be too hard to convert it to 2 AA batteries which I believe is 3 volts.

http://www.reuk.co.uk/12-Volt-Programmable-Timer-Switch.htm

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Timer-Circuits-With-4060B.htm

http://www.reuk.co.uk/buy-REUK-SUPER-TIMER.htm

Is a 555 timer IC the same as a NE555 timer IC?

On the second link I provided in the above it said 'Timing short intervals of milliseconds to minutes can easily be achieved using a NE555 timer chip. Unfortunately, this device is not suitable for timing longer intervals, and so a suitable alternative is required.' there alternative is a 4060B IC which can do the longer timing intervals. Which I believe I would need.

The third link I posted, shows a fully built timer circuit board which is £20. On another page they were talking about thermostats and they said that they can build a battery operated device for £22. Now I don't want to build a thermostat but I am just saying a battery operated timer shouldn't raise the costs by that much let's say if I use this company to build the device. which is the next bit I read, they said:

'Buy a Timer Circuit
This is one of the most complicated circuits discussed on the REUK.co.uk website. Therefore, if you need a timer circuit for a particular application, email with details of your exact requirements and we'll happily put together a bespoke solution.'

the third link I posted is also another timer they sell which is a complete build for £20 known as the REUK super timer, would that be better suited for me?

Now is it really that complicated to build what I have said in this thread so far?

I hope you can please answer my questions

Many thanks in advance

EDIT: Found this http://www.reuk.co.uk/Convert-Digital-Mains-Timer-To-Low-Voltage.htm

It looks like I can take it from a mains powered source to just 1.2 volts and use a single AA battery and there I have exactly what I wanted from the start. If it could work with 1 or 2 CR2032 button cell batteries then even better. The only problem that timer can only be set from 1 minute intervals in a 24 hour period. I wanted second accuracy, as in 1-300 seconds to make LED's blink. But surely it can be done by building such a circuit. Now that we know what I am trying to do can be done with these mains timers.

Please answer my questions

Many thanks in advance

Yes I meant an NE555, the 4060 is more like the IC you need, I used on in a kitchen timer for my GCSE electronics course when I was a kid.

If I can find the info needed for one to suit your needs I'll post it later.

Yes I meant an NE555, the 4060 is more like the IC you need, I used on in a kitchen timer for my GCSE electronics course when I was a kid.

If I can find the info needed for one to suit your needs I'll post it later.

that would be great if you could get the info, thanks loads!

If you try this link
then the first and second replies should be just what your after with little modification.

this one with the relay removed (or even left in & switching the leds) ought to do.

You can do this with 2xCR2032 batteries if you need to, using a 5v relay or better still, without the relay (draws less current).

If you try this link
then the first and second replies should be just what your after with little modification.

this one with the relay removed (or even left in & switching the leds) ought to do.

You can do this with 2xCR2032 batteries if you need to, using a 5v relay or better still, without the relay (draws less current).

Many thanks for taking the time to find these circuits, I will take a look and see what I can do, but so far it all looks pretty confusing. I have no experience in electronics. But I am trying to teach myself.

ooooh, that could be the hard bit lol

Have you thought of trying a course at your local college, they usually do electronics courses.

Perhaps email Ron or whatever his name is from the site & ask his opinion on if the circuit will do what you want.

Be sure to explain the full use of it, what times between on/off etc & how long the leds will beon after that time etc.

Also consider your batteries, and what enclosure your wanting to put it in.
You can get boxes that have 9v battery compartments in with clips - that may be best and to use a suitable resistor to drop the 9v for use with the LEDs while the rest runs at 9v.

Perhaps I will email this Ron and see what can be done. The other day I emailed Neil at http://www.reuk.co.uk/ they can build my circuit or give me some help building it myself. I emailed them all the info about what I want my circuit to do. They replied by saying that a 555 timer or 4060B IC isn't possible to use for my circuit, as my circuit is far too complicated. They said it's definitely not possible to do with any non programmable IC and said I would have to use a mirco controller like a PIC or PICAXE. This is because to fit my circuit onto a perfboard with my small dimensions and with the complexity of the circuit it requires a lot of programming. They said a PICAXE 08M is what is needed, and that they would charge £29 to make it for me including VAT and delivery. They even said it would be a challenge for them to make such a device and they like the challenge. If I build this thing myself using a 08M wouldn't the whole circuit cost less than £10?

OH they are so talking "little round dangly " ocks....

You want a circuit to run for 90 minutes, then flash the leds for a few seconds, then reset for another 90 minutes OK.

The 4060 can be set as a timer for 90 minutes, I have done it using that IC myself. (although it was many years ago).

You simply tag on another sub circuit to flash the leds for the 2 secs.
Similar to the relay one there.

Yes it can be done easier with a programmable IC, for instance a PIC can do this no problem but you would need to learn how to program one.

BTW, overall why? why are you doing this - whats the purpose of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back