Help me rescue this adjustable desk project

Sponsored Links
I'd look at linear actuators. One on each side, floor mounted, powered by the same power supply, would move that up and down nicely.

I'd look at linear actuators. One on each side, floor mounted, powered by the same power supply, would move that up and down nicely.

Would they not get out of sync?

A garage roller door motor might be worth considering. They are tubular, with adjustable limits and drive at both ends.

Sponsored Links
Would they not get out of sync?

A garage roller door motor might be worth considering. They are tubular, with adjustable limits and drive at both ends.
In theory, no. In my experience, the same make and model are very consistent in their output.

Right, linear actuators are looking like the way to go. Similar "format" to a hydraulic ram but no oil to leak out of them. Lots of different sizes available. Can pair them easily enough. I understand electronics more than hydraulics.
Just need to work out how many Newtons I need. I assume they're just a big threaded screw inside as the load and speed are proportional on all of them.

Right, linear actuators are looking like the way to go. Similar "format" to a hydraulic ram but no oil to leak out of them. Lots of different sizes available. Can pair them easily enough. I understand electronics more than hydraulics.
Just need to work out how many Newtons I need. I assume they're just a big threaded screw inside as the load and speed are proportional on all of them.

As often used on steerable satellite dishes. They can provide positional feedback.

10 Newtons = 1 KG

Have you considered a long threaded bar, running on a bearing at the top, nut fixed to the work surface and a reverse-able motor to turn the rod?

I looked at lead screws and the associated bearings, blocks, etc but wasn't sure how to size them. However, it seems like a "linear actuator" is essentially all of that in a package.
From an Aliexpress listing:
1685551563984.png

Some old architects drawing boards had a foot rest that you lifted with your foot and the whole desk top lifted/adjusted as necessary and will go horizontal too I recall, really quite clever, certainly faster to adjust than any other system available. Sometimes they turn up for not much or even free on Marketplace or ebay.

Bieffe drawing boards was one make, eg

s-l1600.jpg

or

338509853_6275704582487336_4323807459109033152_n.jpg

Last edited:
Just buy an industry standard workbench (mine are 935mm high) and a draughtsman swivel chair.

2x 450mm 1500Nm linear actuators have done the job. They don't track each other perfectly and they're a bit loud, but they work.

Should have expanded on that a bit...on the test bench they move at slightly different speeds and one is 15mm longer than the other at full extent. But the "carriage" I built that slides up and down is quite rigid in that axis, so it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back