Help me settle an argument!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please!

We are in the process of renovating a 1897 Victorian end terrace.

I have had to remove the plaster from around a window to rectify a poorly fitted window and damp problems, and my diy-shy OH asked if the window could be removed and a French door be put in its place. See uploaded picture - hopefully!

Its not a job i'd entertain (i have enough to do!) and i have doubts if its even possible, due to how close it sits to the gable end (single skin, second course of bricks added in the late 70's). I know BC would need to be involved but i don’t particularly want to shell out money to find out its not possible, i'd appreciate it if someone could cast an experienced eye over it.

Many Thanks,

CD
:)

Sponsored Links
the OH will also be wanting the shed knocked down once the doors are in :D

Do you have another floor above? Is there a lintel above the window?

The window is very close to the corner but this was quiet common in the past & although BR’s would prohibit you installing a new window/door so close, there is (probably) nothing to prevent you removing the wall below the window & installing French doors. The brickwork below the window does not provide any support for what’s above the window but it may be providing some lateral support for the adjacent wall considering a second skin was added later. The good news is you would not have to involve Building control with this work but it may not the answer you were hoping for! :LOL:

the OH will also be wanting the shed knocked down once the doors are in

Actually - your not far from the truth there, more along the lines of can you build me a potting shed when you repair the roof on the current shed! :confused:

Do you have another floor above? Is there a lintel above the window?

Yep, there is a second floor. The back wall of the house is double thickness, no cavity, the inner skin has a wooden lintel, the outer skin has what i'm guessing is a self supporting arch that has seemingly no arc to it, (the exterior is rendered so i cant see for sure) and the current window is not physically connected to it.

Sponsored Links
There is no problem with having a door right on the corner.

Bizarrely, if a new build, then building control would ask for calculations to "prove" adequate buttressing of the corner, but it would be almost impossible for this to fail, so why they ask for them is beyond me.

Normally the [gable?] wall will be braced at first floor level by the brickwork and by the lintel, and possible also by the floor joists so it will be OK.

But to be sure, you would need the adequacy of the arch, and its closeness to the corner checked. It may also be worth while replacing any timber lintels at the same time

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back