HELP!! MY BOILER WILL HEAT MY WATER BUT NOT MY RADIATORS!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi my boiler has been playing up for awhile now and has only been heating my water and not my radiators,
i have check all the radiators and give them a good bleed, but nothing!
the all of a sudden out of the blue i thought i would try putting the heating on aswell and my water and WOW it worked red hot radiators all night, the thermostat worked the heating turned on and off and kept a lovely temparature, i even turned the water heater off and it kept going!
so i thought the problem was sorted until this morning when it is now not working at all again!!! :mad:
i have done everything i did last night but no luck has anyone any ideas as i cant afford to splash out on a new boiler so close to christmas.

my boiler is a IDEAL SOLUTIONS FF50 CONDENSER BOILER.

thanks Rach x

Sponsored Links
Not familiar with this boiler, but it could possibly be a faulty motorised valve. Do you have a hot water tank?

Yes but do you have any 'motorised valves' cause that's where the problem most likely is.
Some systems have one 3port (3pipe) valve. Some have two 2port(2pipe) valves (1 heating and 1 hot water)
It sounds as though a micro switch is failing to make contact properly, most probable due to arcing across the contacts. They become burnt and dirty.
Usually best to get the valve head replaced.
See if you can see any valves with a metal box on top, there will be a electric cable coming from them

Sponsored Links
Had a similar problem which this site helped me diagnose as a motorised valve failure. The old valve appeared to have trapped black sediment with an almost fragile plastic texture.

Could it be from the Grunfoss pump? What are the impellers made of?

As MANDATE says, we need you to look for the motorised valves. Usually near the hot water cylinder (tank). There may be one with 3 pipes attached, or a pair with 2 pipes attached to each one.

Unlikely its the boiler so dont panic! (Yet!) ;)

As MANDATE says, we need you to look for the motorised valves. Usually near the hot water cylinder (tank). There may be one with 3 pipes attached, or a pair with 2 pipes attached to each one.

Unlikely its the boiler so dont panic! (Yet!) ;)

thank you i will look now :D

sorry to seam dumb lol but is the motorised value with the boiler or my water tank??

It will be in the airing cupboard [assuming you have the same system as mine]. Mine has three pipes going in/out from it.

Have a look and may take a picture and people can point it out.

Note any numbers or model etc. it will help identify what is what.

here are some pics of the water tank if it helps.

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0539.jpg

i have just switched my water tank on and off and have give it a knock and it seems to have worked! so fingers crossed. atleast i have heating tonight!

Wonderful! :D A picture makes life so much easier!

The white 'box' at the bottom of the pics is the motorised valve. That's the likely culprit! If the heating isn't working, move the metal lever at the top of the valve, you should see a slot that it'll lock into when moved across. This should 'wedge' the valve open to allow the radiators to work, but they wont switch off with the wall thermostat, only when hot water stat tells the boiler the cylinder is up to set temperature.

Motorised valve needs repairing or replacing, with some manufacturers it is possible to replace just the 'head' (motor etc), assuming valve itself is ok. If valve is knackered or head isn't removeable then new valve needed. (Honeywell valves are probably the best, about £50-60ish plus fitting. System will need to be drained to replace entire valve.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back