Turning off my radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have an old style boiler that only lets me have my hot water and heating on together, and not either or in isolation. In the Summer months, I'd like hot water but no need for the radiators to heat up.

I figured the best way to achieve this is to turn off each radiator around my flat using the valves at the bottom of the radiators (no thermostats).

Each radiator has a valve at both the bottom left and the bottom right. Unsure of which ones to turn, I did some research but ran into a lot of conflicting information.

Which valves would I turn, the one to the left, right or both? How many turns (or till the valve doesn't turn anymore with the plyers)?

Many thanks,

James.

Sponsored Links
What about giving a lot more info on your system? Even old systems allow for hot water to be on without rads. It may be a simple fix.
Boiler
System controls
Timer etc.

Hi,

I have an old style boiler that only lets me have my hot water and heating on together, and not either or in isolation. In the Summer months, I'd like hot water but no need for the radiators to heat up.

Many thanks,

James.

I think you have a problem with a component somewhere in your heating sytem, you are describing a gravity hot water system, you should be able to get just hot water in the summer without heating, as the heating should only come on with the room stat giving power to the pump.

So I have a thermostat in the living area, which turns the boiler on when the temperature is below the setting.

The control dial for the heating allows for placing markers on the wheel for on/off times, and a switch for having the system off/timed/constant. There is no way to set just heating or water.

If the temperature in the lounge is above say 20c, the boiler will not come on (as designed).

Sponsored Links
To answer your original question just turn one of the valves off on each rad, any will do, whichever is easiest.
If you make a note of how many turns on each valve, just open them up the same next winter.

You can turn off the rads as suggested, but you still have a fault on your system. It was not designed so you have to turn all the rads off to get HW only. Take your choice, get it fixed, or put up with the fault. Why not post a pic of the boiler, cylinder and ALL system controls.

You may have a summer valve, as suggested pictures of the inside of your airing cupboard would help.

You may have a summer valve, as suggested pictures of the inside of your airing cupboard would help.

Please find some pictures.

GALLERY]

GALLERY]
[/list]

Any ideas on where my Summer valve could be. I have looked throughout the airing cupboard, but cannot find anything labelled as such.

Many thanks.

You have a cyl 'stat so there must be a motorised valve somewhere, a few more pics might help eg. Boiler, timer, wiring junction boxes, components on the end of wires, wife, daughter anything else that takes your fancy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back