Help.... my VW polo is drinking petrol?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 52 plate 1.4 polo is costing me a bomb in petrol! During the summer months there was a real strong smell of petrol when I pulled up but I haven't noticed any patches on the drive...... Can anybody advise of what could be going on? It would be greatly appreciated! kate

Sponsored Links
Good evening Katie
As your Polo actually smells of petrol, then there's obviously a leak somewhere......try to determine the area its coming from first.
Lift the bonnet (remove the air filter box and trunking if you can) - is the smell stronger there? Polo's have a habit of having porous fuel pipes at the top of the engine.
Another particular area is where the fuel filler joins onto the petrol tank - by wriggling underneath (luxury :p ) you may see a petrol stain, but naturally thats towards the rear / middle of the car. Corrosion sets in at the fill pipe area.
It would have to be a really bad leak to see fuel on the ground due to its evaporation tendency.
I'm sure if the car was up on a garage ramp, the problem could be spotted in minutes!
John :)

Just be careful of a petrol leak in the engine compartment, so have a wee look for the leak as soon as you can. Don't go putting it on the long finger.

When you find the leak, you might consider replacing the air filter if its dirty. The local car accessory shop will have one, just give them the details of your car. Or take the old one with you. This will help with fuel economy.

You can do other things that will also help, but see how you get on.

PS
You know that pedal next the drivers door? Yes the accelerator, well, be gentle and you will use less fuel.

Sponsored Links
Back