Help needed again lol.

Jesus I think its safe to say this does not look like it will be an easy job to say the least hopefully I am mistaken.

Ok just went to take some more pics this time to try get a better one I would have had to hold the fitting. Its dark now in the UK so I left the light on that needs changing and went to the circuit box from which I can see the fitting. Anyhow I turn all downstairs lights off at the fuse the one I am changing stays lit up. So I try the upstairs fuse for the lights its still on.

I make my way trying fuses and get to the freezer socket one which switches the light off. I go to take a picture use my phone as a light and touch the connectors to make sure their dead with voltage screwdriver I have but its live still. WTF is going on here?

Sponsored Links
Look for a fused spur , fed from freezer circuit supplying power for light , are any other lights on same circuit.

Sponsored Links
Neon/voltage screwdriver, best bin that, they are unreliable and give misleading information. I think now is the time to buy that multimeter you promised yourself for the New Year!
If you can not prove it is dead using the correct equipment, don't go poking around or the words in your open topic post may come back to haunt you!
Hi everyone again should be the last time I ask for help

Look for a fused spur , fed from freezer circuit supplying power for light , are any other lights on same circuit.

You mean like a freezer socket switch? Theirs a boiler one now where the fridge used to go but no fridge one anymore.

Yes the upstairs lights are on the same circuit. It just gets better and better. When I switch the fuse marked upstairs lights nothing happens they all stay on. But when I hit the freezer one the kitchen downstairs turs off also the upstairs lights but the living room and back room stay on.

Neon/voltage screwdriver, best bin that, they are unreliable and give misleading information. I think now is the time to buy that multimeter you promised yourself for the New Year!
If you can not prove it is dead using the correct equipment, don't go poking around or the words in your open topic post may come back to haunt you!
Hi everyone again should be the last time I ask for help

Ye I know I should have them already. With it been so close to xmas was hoping to get away with it. Whenever I change anything I normally kill the full fuse box not just individual fuses.

Is the fuse box safe like it is?

I wonder if the circuit was altered and put on higher rated fuse/mcb, using freezer mcb . What is the freezer mcb rated size ?.

I change anything I normally kill the full fuse box not just individual fuses.
That does not prove the circuit or accessory you are working on is dead!
Sounds like it has not been labeled correctly or cables have been swap around, only really unsafe, if you start isolating circuits believing them to be dead, without proving dead via approved test equipment.

Should be getting my point now ;)

I change anything I normally kill the full fuse box not just individual fuses.
That does not prove the circuit or accessory you are working on is dead!
Sounds like it has not been labeled correctly or cables have been swap around, only really unsafe, if you start isolating circuits believing them to be dead, without proving dead via approved test equipment.

Should be getting my point now ;)

I am mate like I say I know I should have everything I do not fancy being fried.

I know you do not recommend touching anything without the equipment to make sure it is 100% dead but do you think from looking at the pics I can put the live in to live and the Neutrals in to Neutrals and get it working?

@swampy2 I accidentally pressed Ignore when I went to quote you I have took you off that now. Also on the fuse it says Type 1 6A

Connect up as you said in previous post and afterwards ensure centre pin is live , make sure fittings lamp thread is not live .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back